Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009 | 02:41 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

Your probably fine doing what you did. But if you have any concerns about it. Just do what I said and it will be up to spec.
These bikes as big and as expensive as they are, are not all that complicated or hard to figure out if you take your time and think a little. Having a service manual handy doesn't hurt either.
The overall design of the bike is really very simple, almost ancient by modern car standards, but then again, why fix it if it ain't broke?

Old 05-01-2009 | 02:50 PM
jknowlton
Road Master

you are def. right. I have a service manual and besides sometimes being hard to find certain sizes of heads and screws, been a great resource. I learn a lot by doing and someone showing me, sometimes the verbage of how things are written are confusing lol.
I'd rather be shown once, than read it lol.

Def true, why fix it if it aint broke. I thought it was good, but my buddy rode the other day said it just was hard for him to find the friction zone, which it wasnt for me.

Old 05-01-2009 | 03:37 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

Finding the size of screws and such is easy if you have a parts manual. They list every piece of 'hardware' (screws, nuts, bolts, and washers) on the bike in the back of the book by part number with a description of its size.
You just have to do the work of finding the part number in the rest of the book.

I agree I learn better by being shown, and doing it myself, than trying to read some engineers idea of a simple procedure.

There was probably nothing really wrong with your clutch, he's just used to his the same way you are used to yours.

That's one of the primary reasons for doing regular adjustment and maintenance checks. A part that's gradually going bad might escape notice otherwise because your adjusting your 'feel' for it as it goes downhill. So its a big surprise when it finally fails on you.

Ride safe