Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

choose ST Duece or DYna

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Zonian
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default choose ST Duece or DYna

Well Ive always had metric bikes and my last one was a vtx 1300... Ive considered gettign the road star but i dont really love the looks of of the one style..And to be honest I just want the bike with sound and looks of american history...and I love harley's... Anyways I dont konw much about Harleys and what i like about metrics is their supposed reliability. The two bikes Ive decided on are the Duece or the Street Bob... What i guess i really want is a bike i can ride on long trips and not have issues with to much vibration... But as im sure you will let me konw i dont really konw what im talking aobut..LOL I actually like the looks of the Duece better, I just dont know what are the big differences if any... I hope you can set me straight!..lol

Old 05-07-2006, 11:01 PM
93HD
Advanced
Default RE: choose ST Duece or DYna

The duece is better choice more dressed up and softails look better in my opinion.ther are alot of other
softail to choose from also. fatboy,heritage. etc...and the new twin cam does not have much vibration
it is counter balanced real smooth.good luck on your search and you won't be dissapointed.ride american

Old 05-07-2006, 11:09 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Dyna= Rubber mount engine, vibration at idle and a little vibration when cruising. Not much vibration at all on acceleration. Cheaper than softails, HD dosn't offer as much add on stuff, smaller front wheel, 19" instead of 21". Suppose to be more "sporty" with better handleing and not as much rake on most models.

Softail= Counterbalance engine, almost no vibration but a tiny loss of power because of the counterbalancers in the motor. Cost more money, lots of add on's unless you buy the deuce, decue stuff is available, but costs lots more. 21" front wheel, hard tail style instead of rear springs.

In the end you decide, I love my night train. Low rider was my runner up, and I'm happy with my decision. Deuce was outta my price range for a new one. But an awsome bike.!!! Good luck!

Old 05-07-2006, 11:47 PM
mitcht
Cruiser

I gotta agree on the Softail line.....easy to dress up and a great nostagic look. Everyone has their vibration tolerances, but I was like you, so I bought a used Heritage Softail Classic. Only 3800 miles on it..........and I love it for the $11,000 I paid. I havent tried the newer ones, but hear they are even smoother. I've been on longer rides and yes, a bit of vibration, but nothing annoying. And best of all..it's a HARLEY

Old 05-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah yes the dilema, I was some what lucky I knew if I ever had a choice I would get my Springer. [sm=bling.gif]Had a nuclear explosion occurred at the softail plant, I would have bought a Dyna Wide Glide, I dig'em.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:11 AM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

I like the Deuce, I have one! Cool drag bike looks, it looks fast sitting still. If you want a bike that you can travel with, I would suggest you look into the touring models. The accessories for th e Deuce are somewhat limited in my opinion, but that is not why I bought it. If you want a softail bike and you are going to travel, I would look at the Springers and Heritage. Either way you won't be disappointed.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:34 AM
Zonian
6th Gear

Well its not that im planning on traveling but i wouldnt mind riding for like 6 hrs or more every once in awhile..Like day trips or something... And yea who knows maybe jump on and end up 2 or 3 states away...lol But for now i can only afford one bike, Ill save the tour bike for my second and for my wife to fit on..LOL I also noticed the Night and Low Rider... As far as the less power of hte balanced engine surely after some engine mods you can easily make up for that... Ill take less power for more comfort anyday...LOL As long as i can beat my brother and his son on their VTX 1300's!!!!!!

Old 05-08-2006, 01:58 AM
haksaw
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry, you're not going to do any VTX beating on a stock or even stage one HD.
I've owned a couple of dynas, electraglide, sporty and a softail. If I could pick one bike it would be a dyna. (pre 06) You can't beat the smoothness (if that's a word) out on the highway and you gotta love that rubber mounted motor shaking in the frame at idle. I also found the ST to lack in power compared to both the eglide or dyna. I'd stay away from the 88B motor if I'd be buying another bike. I currently ride a ST which I really like, but IMHO it doesn't have the same quality ride or handling compared to a dyna.
You can only get your first harley once and no matter what the choice you'll be happy, no doubt.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:37 AM
Zonian
6th Gear

You can only get your first harley once.... Hey sounds good to me! Im just glad i will have hte chance to have that once instead of never..lol The VTX i meant was the 1300 not the 1800... I know i would never have a chance with the 1800.. But for me, why buy a bike that kinda looks like a harley and doesnt sound like a harley??? At least they should make a single pin 1800, and maybe squeeze the 1300 in the 750 spirit frame...I had one of those too.. loved the wanna be looks of it!..lol

Old 05-08-2006, 03:36 AM
pro1955
Road Captain

I say Softail, I have owned many bikes, big bore jap bikes, old Harleys, choppers, ect. The Deuce got me back in the Harley fold, the balance shaft motors, better brakes, better handling, better styling. I was hooked on the first ride, sold my 1100 Katana and got in line. Back in 2000 you had to get in line and pay over MSRP.[:@]

Quick Reply: choose ST Duece or DYna