Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things That Make You Go Hmmmm

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Figstr
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Things That Make You Go Hmmmm

My indy put new chrome lowers and a new front tire on. Afterwards I got the dreaded wobble that started about 80mph. I call him and he tells me to bring it on in. He loosens the top nut on the steering column and tightens the adjustment nut underneath. He then retightens the top nut with no torque wrench. Hmmmm, I don't like this I'm thinking. Leave his shop and hit the highway - still have the wobble. I get home and put the bike on the jack thinking maybe a loose spoke or two since that was the problem when the bike was first new. The tone on the spokes seem fine except for a couple of dead ones. I tighten them up a bit and notice no fall away at all - I have to push the wheel over all the way in both directions. Ok, I get in there and check the torque of the top nut and it's not even close. Loosen it up, loosen the adjustment nut underneath to get some fall away. Tighten it back down to specs. Still got the wobble. Ok, HD it is. Yesterday they tell me the front bearings are bad and they have to cut them out since they're sealed. Now, you tell me, how does the bike go from being perfectly fine to bad bearings, after front end work, in a day? Luckily the bearings are being done under warranty. However, something tells me that's not the problem. I told HD to check the balance (as I don't think the indy balanced them) and to check the fall away - and they find a bad bearing???? I hope to get the bike back tonight, but we'll see.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:58 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now, you tell me, how does the bike go from being perfectly fine to bad bearings, after front end work, in a day?
I think its the other way around Bro....You tell us!!!

I know that the 21" wheel dosent like to ride around unbalanced but on whats dern near a new bike to destroy the bearings that quickly???

How many miles on er?

You may have had bad bearings for a while and the issue became pronounced and noticible when riding on a bad wheel?

I have 14K on my Train. I thought it rode great. Then I replaced both front and rear wheels with new tires and bearings Yad-Yada....

Wow! I must have had some worn out chit as well cuz' its a different bike.

I'm eagerly watching this thread to see what HD tells ya caused the bearing issue. Mine were starting to get slop in em' at 14K.....I keep my headset greased and adjustered and havent ever ridden it unbalanced.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Figstr
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Chazmanian;4923184]I think its the other way around Bro....You tell us!!!

How many miles on er?

Old 04-28-2009, 02:08 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I 'll just sit and watch for answer on this one..