Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flush-Mount Fuel Cap and Gauge Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:23 PM
lovemydeluxe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flush-Mount Fuel Cap and Gauge Kit

I have these installed on my deluxe, and have had nothing but trouble with the fuel gauge. Usually the LED quits working shortly after they replace it. When i get it fixed again, it will be the 3rd time that its been replaced in 16 months. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:28 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

from what I understand, it is a common issue.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Olyone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard the same thing. I was going to get get them as well and decided against it. Sorry to hear that. I would return if you can.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:34 PM
agapsdiver
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 58 Posts

Get the Kuryakyn LED gas gauge... had mine for over two
years and still works great.
http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go...ID/26/IMID/396

Old 04-23-2009, 12:34 AM
flyburch
Road Master
Received 75 Likes on 22 Posts

ive had a set on my rocker and fatboy for over a year with no problems at all.. I have heard that there were problems with older ones though

Old 04-23-2009, 02:32 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

On the third one also on the Wifes Deluxe. Although, this one has lasted more than twice as long as the first two...

From what I have been told, they had a problem with the led wiring, that was simply too fragile for the vibration on a bike. They have been redesigned, so the newer ones should help to alleviate this problem.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:04 AM
REED
Intermediate
Default flush mount fuel cap + gauge

I bought on about 1 1/2 yrs ago for my Dyna and never installed it mainly because I heard of the problems but also when using the gauge you lose the fuel indicator in the speedo and that was not acceptable to me.. Think I got $ 29.00 us for it on e-bay. tom

Old 04-23-2009, 07:48 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

There has been a considerable amount of "discussion", sometimes heated, regarding the lifespan of the LED's.
I wanted one when I first got my Custom, but all the bad news back then scared me off. So I found a LED gauge (HD made) that 'looks' like the original gas cap and have that installed instead.
It looks nice, but its virtually worthless as a real gas gauge. It insists that the tank is empty when its still half full.
So I ignore it and just use the trip meter like I have since I started riding bikes over 30 years ago.
It is funny when other well meaning people I'm riding with see the last LED turn red and point to it warning me I need gas.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:31 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Popped in from the Dyna pages. I've had lotsa issues with mine, too. But, mine will heal itself if I just bide my time for a bit. My usual "failure" mode is when the low-order LED will drop out (still have ones lit above it), and it takes the center "pump" icon with it. Sometimes they'll come back on in a few minutes, sometimes with the next ignition-on cycle, sometimes they're out for a whole tankfull and into the next fill-up. But they always seem to come back eventually. Mine is prob'ly good 80%, and flaky 20%...I can live with that.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

I just put a set on my Standard after lots of searching here and other places on the failure rate of this mod. From what I learned the MC is/was aware of the failure rate being very high, so they reengineered the product. Hense the part number for my Softail is: # 62818-06C
The "C" is the key in this part number, indicating it's the third revision of this product. So, life is short, so I bought them, and if it fails I will jump up and down on the dealers desk until it's fixed....LOL
So far,,all is well, and they look killer on my bike!

Quick Reply: Flush-Mount Fuel Cap and Gauge Kit