Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering bike at the front only

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009 | 06:02 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Me thinks that at 350 large and his lady on the back that Damage is already altering the intended suspension angles.

I think your valved racetech plan is spot on as they will valve for your weight.

I weigh 235. My old lady is 110. Together we weigh less than damage and you can bet yer' *** that the back of my bike is slammed when we are both on board.

Now imagine a full sized man like damage. Now add his old lady and that bike has to be on the verge of doing power wheelies.

Drop the front Damage.

450+ pounds on the back end of that Train is already causing the intended suspension angles to be way off what the engineers imagined.

Sheese I bet you drop the front and it handles like it was intended!

Oh Yeah....OP= Original Poster. Kinda like an OG but not really!!

Old 04-22-2009 | 07:54 PM
crazybastid83
Banned

No legitimate shop would lower the front and not the rear.

Old 04-22-2009 | 08:52 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Damage_Inc
Actually the racetech stuff with the gold emulators (say that like marvin the Martian it's funny chit) was the kit I was looking at putting in there. The ultimate for me would be a set of the ceriani/storz 55mm inverted forks or the forks that Fast Harley pushes, but I don't have the coin for a trick front end like that.
You will not be unhappy with it. I had one put in mine when I installed the chrome front end... makes a hell of a difference in ride. I had mine lowered 1 inch also.

Old 04-22-2009 | 10:00 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by crazybastid83
No legitimate shop would lower the front and not the rear.

Wouldnt that same shop be recommending an adjustable shock set tp get the rtear suspension suspending where the factory designed it to work best for the big fella as well?

That being the case my thought is that Damage is causing the *** end to sag at least 1.5" deeper in the travel then a guy who tips the scales at 175.

I ride off road bikes. KTM's to be exact. They do not have linkage and setting the static and rider sag are critical and essential to the bikes ability to turn and perform properly.

We set our bikes up at 25MM static sag which is how much it sets downward under its own wieght from fully extended.

The rider sag is the distance between fully extended and the bike being sat on by its rider fully booted and suited for off road battle. We set that at 110-118MM

A guy who weighs 165 is the target consumer for most off road bikes. I have to go up a slew of spring sizes to get my rider sag in the 110-118MM range.

Long story but at 350 pounds and 450+ with his Chick on the back Damage is driving the suspension down way farther than the "Target Rider" who in the case of MoCo is probably a 200 pound guy?

Damage isnt causing the fork to ride as low in its travel as he is the rear.

He may very well simply imitate a lowered bike front and rear if he figures out how much lower his bike is riding in the back comapared to say a 200 pound "Target Rider" Like by having a friend sit on his bike and measure the sag then he sit on the bike and measure the sag. He would then drop the front end accordingly to match the extra sag he gets in the rear after taking his measurements both front and rear with hisself Vs' a 200 pound guy.

Makes some sense no?

Old 04-22-2009 | 11:54 PM
TMM
Advanced

Hey Damage, you wouldn't happen to visit Lance and Camo's site do ya?

Old 04-23-2009 | 07:06 AM
Damage_Inc
|
Tourer

No...Never heard of Lance & Camo.

Old 04-23-2009 | 07:22 AM
ndfi78
Banned

Makes perfect sense Chazmanian

Old 04-23-2009 | 07:28 AM
Damage_Inc
|
Tourer

The rear shock pre-load is at it's stiffest setting so the bike doesn't bottom out by any means. Looking at pics it sits real nice when I'm sitting on it, very similar to a bike that's lowered 1.5" or so. It's fully down when my O/L's on the back but it's still handles decently, she's about 120lbs but for the amount of 2 up riding I actually do it's not a major concern. I think I'm going try the Racetech springs in the front and see what happens. I like the fact that they will be tailored to my weight and I can play around with the amount I want to lower it. If I don't like the look or for some reason the handling drastically changes, I will end up throwing some adjustable shocks on the back.