Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you required to take your bike to the dealer you purchased it from

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 12:49 AM
lapisblue
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you required to take your bike to the dealer you purchased it from

Are you required to take your bike to the dealer you purchased it from for problems that arise? Can I take the bike to any dealer I want if my dealer refuses to fix a problem on a bike that is one month old? Dealer installed SE pipes, air cleaner, and race download. I now notice it chokes out when I wick the throttle and it is blowing a lot of Black smoke. He claims this is because it isn't stock anymore and it is "normal". I say it isn't and would like to get it fixed. When I pull away from a light I usually wick the throttle out of habit before I release the clutch just to make sure it isn't going to stumble, when I do this it chokes out and wants to stumble. Could this be an injector problem? Also when I start the bike in the morning it doesn't matter if I let it warm up for 5 to 10 minutes it always stumbles and wants to die. Or maybe all EFI bikes run this way? I asked him to start another FLST to compare. He fired it up and I wicked the throttle with not a hint of hesitation. I said see this is the way mine should respond, he said it runs good because it is stock.......HMMMMMMM!

Old 05-05-2006, 12:53 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Are you required to take your bike to the dealer you purchased it from

See if you can find a dealer that you can work with. Another dealer does not have to fix a problem caused by your dealer. Your bike is no longer stock and they (another dealer) do not have to fix it under warranty. I know this is not what you wanted to hear but it is the truth. I would call Harley and complain. Your bike is running lean because they used the Street Legal Harley Download. If you want it to run right have a SERT installed. A good dealer can make it run the way you expect it to.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:58 AM
lapisblue
Tourer
Default RE: Are you required to take your bike to the dealer you purchased it from

Hey Terry, they loaded the race cartridge. I asked about the SERT and he said it would take 8 hours to install and do a dyno . A full working day for this at $65 per hour? I said you are joking right? He said no..............Hmmmmm

Old 05-05-2006, 01:24 AM
Mike05
Tourer

You mentioned in your post that it blows a lot of black smoke. That, to me, indicates an overly rich condition. Gray smoke would be oil burning, black is rich fuel mixture.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:27 AM
Firefox
Cruiser

Your dealer is lying. Find a better dealer. Less than 2 hours my SERT was down loaded and Dynoed.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:22 PM
lapisblue
Tourer

Went to another dealer and they said a max. of 4 hours for the Dyno.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:46 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

SE pipes an A/C and download do not void any warranty. Especially when performed by the dealer. Least thats what my dealer tells me. In fact there is a law against such a thing. Some dude was posting about that the other day around these parts. Black smoke tells me "rich" not lean. You should not need a SERT to fix this problem. Many many many people have gone your route in upgrades with great results. Don't throw more money at it..get the dealer to fix "Thier" problem... something was installed or setup wrong that much is obvious. Go to another dealer, don't even mention the upgrades, just tell them your bike is running really strange???

lp

ORIGINAL: lapisblue

Are you required to take your bike to the dealer you purchased it from for problems that arise? Can I take the bike to any dealer I want if my dealer refuses to fix a problem on a bike that is one month old? Dealer installed SE pipes, air cleaner, and race download. I now notice it chokes out when I wick the throttle and it is blowing a lot of Black smoke. He claims this is because it isn't stock anymore and it is "normal". I say it isn't and would like to get it fixed. When I pull away from a light I usually wick the throttle out of habit before I release the clutch just to make sure it isn't going to stumble, when I do this it chokes out and wants to stumble. Could this be an injector problem? Also when I start the bike in the morning it doesn't matter if I let it warm up for 5 to 10 minutes it always stumbles and wants to die. Or maybe all EFI bikes run this way? I asked him to start another FLST to compare. He fired it up and I wicked the throttle with not a hint of hesitation. I said see this is the way mine should respond, he said it runs good because it is stock.......HMMMMMMM!

Old 05-06-2006, 12:00 AM
lapisblue
Tourer

The problem is, the service guy got on it and rode it around the parking lot and said it runs fine to him. I said it isn't running fine and I want it fixed. He says again , it is running fine to me! I think they are trained to say this and half of the people just leave and then they high 5 each other when the poor Sap rides away with Black smoke pouring from the pipes and the throttle choking out.

Old 05-06-2006, 12:02 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Then pardon my french but those guys are jack-a$$es. This about the time I take my bike to another dealer pronto.

ORIGINAL: lapisblue

The problem is, the service guy got on it and rode it around the parking lot and said it runs fine to him. I said it isn't running fine and I want it fixed. He says again , it is running fine to me! I think they are trained to say this and half of the people just leave and then they high 5 each other when the poor Sap rides away with Black smoke pouring from the pipes and the throttle choking out.

Old 05-06-2006, 12:10 AM
lapisblue
Tourer

Will another dealer turn you away because you bought from the dealer 20 miles down the road?. My thoughts were another dealer might just say take it back to where you bought it........Or do they even care about that?

Quick Reply: Are you required to take your bike to the dealer you purchased it from