Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Care for Heritage Bags

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leather Care for Heritage Bags

What is the best product for leather bags, I am not really pleased with the paste that comes with the bags but it works ok, I have heard mink oil and saddle soap, what else works for keeping the leather new looking and waterproof

Old 04-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Bluetick
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RDKingRider
What is the best product for leather bags, I am not really pleased with the paste that comes with the bags but it works ok, I have heard mink oil and saddle soap, what else works for keeping the leather new looking and waterproof
I use a product from Chilhowee Motorcycle Leather http://www.chilhowee.net/ called "Buffalo Butter". The product a thick oil/liquid and is very easy to apply with a soft rag. Buffalo Butter makes the leather bags and seat look brand new with a deep, bright black. I apply the butter at night, and let it sit on the leather all night. The next day I take a clean towel and just wipe off any access from the seat and bags. Here is an insert from their website that describes the ingredients. All I can tell you is that it is the best I have ever used. I have started using this produce on my car seats.

================================================== =============

Why Chilhowee Buffalo Butter?
Chilhowee Buffalo Butter is a combination of the finest leather oils and shea butter - an incredible moisturizer harvested from the nut of the Karite tree and imported from Africa - formulated to deeply penetrate the leather and replenish the lost fat liquors. Shea Butter is an expensive, all natural, effective moisturizer and healing balm used for centuries in the harsh, arid regions of Africa. The dynamic effect of combining shea butter with the finest leather oils is unsurpassed in a leather conditioner - and not available in any other product.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using Maguire's Gold Class Rich Leather, Cleaner and Conditioner. I've used this stuff since 2003 and it keeps the bags soft and waterproof. They look good also because it leaves them with a semi-gloss finish. Not too shiney or too dull. Works well.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:48 PM
BlackRob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the Harley paste that comes with it is mink oil and seems to be good quality. I have used the same container that came with it for a couple of years now, you don't need to use very much of it. If you get scuffs put a little black Kiwi shoe polish and buff it off. For deep scratches (past the black) use a little Kiwi leather dye then polish then buff. You'll never know it was scratched.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

might have to try one of those mentioned above...have used the stuff from HD its good but not great either

Old 04-18-2009, 02:01 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the HD conditioner for a normal washing application, but once a year (spring time ) I use Doc Baileys on all my leather for the bikes. Brings back the color, waterproofs, and protects. Works very well..

Most people overdo the leather. you have to allow leather to breath or it will dryout and crack. Keeping a good moisturizer on it helps alot, but you don't need it every day or week. HD's Conditioner (black bottle, NOT the Paste) is a good alternative and is very easy to work with, rub it in, wipe it off..does not make the seat slippery, but does do what its supposed to do.

Caution when using Doc Baileys, wear your riding gloves...keeps it off your hands, and applies it to your gloves at the same time.. And make sure you allow it to dry fully before buffing out. If you don't, you will get black on everything that touches the bags...

Old 04-18-2009, 07:04 AM
Chief101
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

+1 Doc Baileys.........fantastic color restoration and finish.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:12 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bluetick
.... The next day I take a clean towel and just wipe off any access from the seat and bags.....

If you wipe off the access, how do you get to your bags or put anything in them?

Sorry...couldn't resist......

Old 04-18-2009, 08:56 AM
moggsy
Road Captain

I just use the HD stuff as it works pretty good and no complaints here after 5 yrs.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:16 AM
krub6t9
Extreme HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

i use mink oil and so far so good

Quick Reply: Leather Care for Heritage Bags