Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anybody mind schooling a rookie? Looking at putting my first HD Softail together

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009 | 10:02 PM
Yosemite
Tourer

Here's a link from Jireh.
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000123a

$525 for the basic frame isn't bad, however you will have to re-register it. The VIN comes from the frame so by tossing the old one, you are essentially building a whole new bike. Be sure to photo-document everything, get receipts for EVERYTHING, and make sure the new frame has a MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin). Keep in mind, when I say get reciepts, they may ask you for receipts from the parts off the old bike. You have to be able to prove what you got from whom and that it wasn't stolen parts.

$2600 may seem pricey, but it will still be a registered HD when you're done and you don't have to prove where every part came from. A lot to be said for that.

Old 04-18-2009 | 08:22 AM
parauto
|
Stage III

One last question before I make a decision to go one way or the other.

Does anybody know what year and models have the same frame as the 2005 Softail frame? It might seem like a stupid question to you guys, but it would really help my search. I've heard from a few people that all the frames were the same for softails, but I find that really hard to believe.

Yosemite, if I don't find a frame between now and July, I'll probably have the money saved up to go straight to HD and get a new one from them. I'm really itching to ride now though, especially working right across the street from one of the largest local biker bars. I hear them all day long and i really want to get rolling. I'm sure you can understand my pain

Old 05-17-2009 | 12:29 PM
LTDB
Novice

Originally Posted by Flying Hog
Sorry, its Roland Sands, not russell. Website is Rolandsands.com
Thanks...

Old 05-23-2009 | 08:45 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

You'd better make sure tour buddies bikes doesnt have a salvage title attached to it, or the new frame would still be listedas salvage. But,you'll probably save the extra money you'll spend between the after market frame and original HD frame. In lower insurance prices and higher resale when you sell it. Plus it will be a HD. I wanted to build a softail and my agent said they dont even insure a non factory,put together bike. Better check iinsurace prices if your state has mandatory insurance laws as MO does.