Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for quality horsepower / torque mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 01:54 PM
krazn8
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I did get it from a well known dealer here is Dallas. Good group of guys. I did e-mail him, still waiting for a reply. great info Chazmanian! - Thank you - very helpful! - I am looking to spend $2k or less and keep my current motor looking stock on the outside. It sounds like Cams, and head work, and carb tuning, w/ AC and pipes is what I am looking at. I do not want to get into boring just yet. Maybe down the road when this bike becomes my project bike. From what I can tell the bike is stock except the V&H pipes on it now. Which may mean jetting was done. not sure on that one.

Question:

What would cause a hesitation in the throttle response at cursing speed when I hit the hammer and she chokes/gasps a little? And what will a hotter plug do for me? Any talk of recommendations for spark plugs? I have not heard much on that issue.
Nate

Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by krazn8
Looking for quality horsepower / torque mods that I can do to my stock 2001 FXSTD 1450 while keeping the case closed. Maybe some tricks of the trade if you will. All replies will be appreciated!!

Nate
When I read this, I assumed Nate meant he didn't want to split/crack the cases compared to pop off the covers.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What would cause a hesitation in the throttle response at cursing speed when I hit the hammer and she chokes/gasps a little? And what will a hotter plug do for me? Any talk of recommendations for spark plugs? I have not heard much on that issue.
Nate
Jetting and or a poorly adjusted carb or dirty air filter.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Called2Duty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If your ride is carbed, i would start by pulling the plugs see if there french toast, check the gap, check your air filter and make sure its not full of debris, your pipes might not have enough back pressure causing a hesitation due to improper tuning of the air fuel mixture. Your jets might be gummed up a little. Just some starters

Old 04-15-2009, 03:25 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmanian

If I'm on the gas I dont even hit 2nd gear til I'm doing a tad over 40MPH....3rd is at 60+. Some folks dont like that. I sho' nuff do!
Holly crap, a tad over 40 mph in 1st gear? Why don't you just rev it up and start off in 2nd?

Old 04-15-2009, 03:42 PM
krazn8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by priceamp
When I read this, I assumed Nate meant he didn't want to split/crack the cases compared to pop off the covers.
That is correct, I do not want to get into boring it out yet

Nate

Old 04-15-2009, 03:44 PM
krazn8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
Jetting and or a poorly adjusted carb or dirty air filter.
Thanks Man - !!!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:45 PM
krazn8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Called2Duty
If your ride is carbed, i would start by pulling the plugs see if there french toast, check the gap, check your air filter and make sure its not full of debris, your pipes might not have enough back pressure causing a hesitation due to improper tuning of the air fuel mixture. Your jets might be gummed up a little. Just some starters
Cool I will check those out too.....

Glad I joined this site

Old 04-15-2009, 03:47 PM
krazn8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by priceamp
Holly crap, a tad over 40 mph in 1st gear? Why don't you just rev it up and start off in 2nd?
Yeah - Hes a MAD MAN!! - Thats cool in my book!! - Drive it like stole it!!

Old 04-15-2009, 05:34 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

its a carb - Not EFI - when speaking about cams - what does the #21 or 26 mean? it that Lift ??

Nate
No, thats the #'s of different Andrews cams, each is ground different for different builds 21's, 26's, 37's, ETC,ETC.
each cam maker have different names or #'s for all the cams they make..

to learn more about cam just do a search on cams and you will have plenty to read and learn...

Big Boyz web site has a page on comparing about every cam make for a Harley.
this page will give you all the events of the cam and help picking out the one for U...

Quick Reply: Looking for quality horsepower / torque mods