Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New XBones, waiting on parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 04:45 PM
m-roma19
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New XBones, waiting on parts

just picked up my new black denim crossbones. rode home in 45 degree weather not the best choice. but i am waiting on a thunderheader, air cleaner kit, fuel pack, seat and sissy bar. i heard today that i need to move the turn signals, anyone know if that is true?

if so do i need to order more parts or do they come with the kit for the sissy bar?

also i heard that the crossbones is hard to work on, i am an ex jaguar tech and work for the boston subway system now, i think i will be fine. any thoughts on working on the bike. any tips for the turn signal kit if i need it?

thanks

Old 04-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Called2Duty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you ordered the removable sissy bar bracket then youll have to do a rear turn signal alteration (basic and cheap i think its $30) it doesnt really alter the appearance. If you got the bobber style x bones bracket(leans back and much taller) you wont need it. There all fuel injected and other than the springer front end (bad *** by the way) i dont know why they would be harder to work on there sweet bikes congrats and enjoys

Old 04-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Xuallus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you don't need the relocation kit, you jsut have to grind a small bit off the sissy bar to make it fit.

I don't think the bones is terribly difficult to work on... no experience with other harleys to compare though

Old 04-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Xuallus
Road Master

someone posted this pic awhile ago, save you a search

Attached Thumbnails New XBones, waiting on parts-cut-off.jpg  
Old 04-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Savagehenry
Tourer

Hi ~And congrats on the new Bones.

I just installed the sissy bar on mine a few weeks ago. There is a signal relocation kit that "technically" needs to be done to get the sissy bracket to clear the turn signals.

HOWEVER. I would seriously consider doing it the way I did, which was to leave the signals alone and grind about 1/4 inch off the sissy bar bracket so it clears the factory configuration. It took less time to bench-grind and hit with gloss black touch up paint than it would have to cut/splice the rear lights. Plus as an added insult, the relocation kit requires you to switch from the existing black 'wings' (between the light and fender) to a chrome barrel, which IMO is a step in the wrong direction for a dark custom. Others have suggested this route on here as well and I would absolutely echo those sentiments.

H-D should have just made the sissy bar fit the bike in the first place.

Good luck..

Old 04-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Xuallus
Road Master

Originally Posted by Savagehenry
Plus as an added insult, the relocation kit requires you to switch from the existing black 'wings' (between the light and fender) to a chrome barrel, which IMO is a step in the wrong direction for a dark custom. Others have suggested this route on here as well and I would absolutely echo those sentiments.

H-D should have just made the sissy bar fit the bike in the first place.

Good luck..
totally agree, the only reason they designed it that way is so you have to buy another kit... and really, why have the sissy bar detachable? it'd be nice if the bags were...

Old 04-13-2009, 05:22 PM
m-roma19
4th Gear
Default thanks

hey guys thanks for the info looks like that guys was a bit arong, i am just gonna nip those ends off with a dye grinder and paint it will be better than rewiring all that stuff.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by m-roma19
just picked up my new black denim crossbones. rode home in 45 degree weather not the best choice. but i am waiting on a thunderheader
Great performance from the T-Header but on a Bones?

Old 04-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Check out post# 21. I think the T-Header looks great on the xbones.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-pictures.html

Last edited by Zacharia_11; 04-13-2009 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Said 32 ment 21...
Old 04-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure if the sissybar comes with the detachable hardware or not, but will need that too.

Quick Reply: New XBones, waiting on parts