Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How in the F!@K

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Fuco 12
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How in the F!@K

I am trying desperatly to remove the baffles from a set of V&H Big Radius. They won't budge. Pulled the set screw. Stuck like chuck.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:37 PM
tc88hog
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a slide hammer. It will be the perfect tool to remove the baffels.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Whoad00d
Tourer

slide hammer yes but just wd-40 a little bit around the baffles then let sit for a bit then try to "twist" out.

russ

Old 04-09-2009, 09:46 PM
LH
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the slide hammer thing on my new quiet baffles, baffle came out in pieces. The quiet baffles are made out of tin ( complete piece of sh#% ). The regular baffles are solid but the quiet are junk.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member

WD 40.. some good pliers and rotate, gently tap with hammer not on the pipe itself but on the baffle edges...

Old 04-09-2009, 10:13 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ha i just took mine out last nite
1st one was a buzzard 2nd one piece a cake
wd 40 fer sure i bent it a little grabbed it w/ vise grips
then smacked the grips w a hammer and they came out
big city monster baffels?
good luck

Old 04-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Jacobi
Cruiser

I have exile pipes and mine were tought. We ended up catching the inside lip of the baffle with a crow bar, then clenching onto the crow bar with a pair of vice grips and then hitting the vice grips with a pair of pliers. Doing it this way, nothing was damaged and the baffles inched their way out!

-Barry-

Old 04-09-2009, 10:28 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LH
I did the slide hammer thing on my new quiet baffles, baffle came out in pieces. The quiet baffles are made out of tin ( complete piece of sh#% ). The regular baffles are solid but the quiet are junk.
Same here. Made my own slide hammer. Lubed the baffles, tried with pipes warm, twisted the baffles, tried with pipes cold, hot.... one was completely destroyed and in pieces, the second barely came out after much work...

The problem is, the fiberglass gets bunched up and tightens against the baffles and pipe the more you try to pull the baffle out. Some one recommended to wrap the fiberglass with wire first - sounds like this would help. Or, wait til the fiberglass is completely burned out after riding for a few seasons...

Old 04-09-2009, 10:43 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacobi
I have exile pipes and mine were tought. We ended up catching the inside lip of the baffle with a crow bar, then clenching onto the crow bar with a pair of vice grips and then hitting the vice grips with a pair of pliers. Doing it this way, nothing was damaged and the baffles inched their way out!

-Barry-
The end of the baffle with the screw portion tore off from the rest of the baffle when I did this. Like I mentioned above, it was lubed, warm, cold, hot, twisted them... tried a couple different times on different days. What Im sayin is, I was very patient and it still came out in pieces.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:45 PM
LH
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Same here. Made my own slide hammer. Lubed the baffles, tried with pipes warm, twisted the baffles, tried with pipes cold, hot.... one was completely destroyed and in pieces, the second barely came out after much work...

The problem is, the fiberglass gets bunched up and tightens against the baffles and pipe the more you try to pull the baffle out. Some one recommended to wrap the fiberglass with wire first - sounds like this would help. Or, wait til the fiberglass is completely burned out after riding for a few seasons...
Yep, that was my problem, fiberglass acted as a wedge ...

Quick Reply: How in the F!@K