Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for 95 inch engine upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:38 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Guys, thanks for all the great information!
I spoke with Bean and he is a super nice guy and was very helpful.
I jsut got off the phone with the shop that will probably be doing my work and this is what they are recommending.
A set of Stage 2 T Man heads with gasket set and a 51 mm Throttle Body. The heads would get my copression at about 10.3-1 and the throttle body would increase the air flow. The new throttle body is an additional $599. Based on what I have found and read the ported heads with increased compression is right on target. Any thoughts on the throttle body? Will the increase be worth the extra $599? I appreciate any feedback.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyheaven
Hey Guys, thanks for all the great information!
I spoke with Bean and he is a super nice guy and was very helpful.
I jsut got off the phone with the shop that will probably be doing my work and this is what they are recommending.
A set of Stage 2 T Man heads with gasket set and a 51 mm Throttle Body. The heads would get my copression at about 10.3-1 and the throttle body would increase the air flow. The new throttle body is an additional $599. Based on what I have found and read the ported heads with increased compression is right on target. Any thoughts on the throttle body? Will the increase be worth the extra $599? I appreciate any feedback.

What you are doing looks like a very expensive endeavor. Take your time and research what you are wanting. I have found that the best forum guys to get info from are over on that "Other" site. Cosmetics? This site rules. Motor builds? Go to V-Twinforums.com Those dudes over there know they chit mang.

Here:http://www.*****************/forums/twin-cam-engine-mods/

Here is an awesome page to study builds and dyno sheets as well:http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hplist_twin_cam.htm

Good luck in yer' build Bro!!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:35 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I would strongly suggest finding a builder and conversing with them about what you want. Unless you've got an infinite wallet, get it right the first time.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:15 AM
cruisinmann
Road Warrior
Received 1,808 Likes on 628 Posts
Default vh staggers for a 95

I have a 95 running 251 cams 10.25.1 compression se race tuner and se slip on pipes.heads are stock not looking to do anything to heads at this time.
I'm getting 84/93 on dyno thinking about the BSS pipes does anyone have advice as to whether this will help or hinder performance.

If it is a wash I may get them for the sound and looks but if its going to rob power may not.Thanks in advance JJ

Old 07-23-2009, 06:35 AM
jd8181
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another great website to check out is www.harleytechtalk.net those guys know there crap. it's pretty much just about motors and harleys, and they have a ton of dyno charts from all different kinds of builds

Old 07-23-2009, 08:39 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jd8181
another great website to check out is www.harleytechtalk.net those guys know there crap. it's pretty much just about motors and harleys, and they have a ton of dyno charts from all different kinds of builds
No, dont go there, its terrible, those guys are lost, lots of mis info... jk My fav place for engine and mechanical advice for sure~ Lots of very experienced, smart, high mileage bagger types that know their stuff - no bs'n and bragin goin on their... Hope it stays that way...

Old 07-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyheaven
I've got a 2005 Anniversary Edition Fatboy that came fron the factory with the 95 inch motor. The guy I purchased it from did the following mods: SE 211 cam, SE Heavy breather, Power Commander, and Vance & Hines Bid Radius 2 into 2 exhaust. The bike dynos at 90 hp and 92 ft lbs of torque. I've been reading through quite a few posts and it seems the next logical step is headwork. It has been suggested to me that I need to change the cam and or pistons? I'm not opposed to spending some $$ but I don't want to spend if not necessary. Any advice would be most appreciated.

chazmanian, what do you think?

What did the OP end up doing on this build?

Last edited by Chazmanian; 07-23-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:41 AM
GunmetalBlueNT
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XARAN
I looked on the SE Catalog about the 211 and it states works SE211 works great with 103ci and larger engines with free flow intake and exhaust , stock heads and high compression pistons.

I have the SE 204 in my bike and I know that hD reccommends the SE 203 for the 95 ci and they even have a listing in the catalog for the 2005 Annv cam upgrade and it is the SE 203.

So just changing out the pipe and maybe the cams would get you what you are looking for?

There are a lot of very experienced guys on this forum that Im sure can give you more complete info and actual experience.
What really matters are the specs of the cams, not what SE will tell you they will work "great" with. 211's are kind of doggish midrange cams, not the best performing street cams by SE. Those 204's are actually a much better street grind, good low end torque and midrange power. SE 203 cams are kind of sluggish, unless your going with another companies cam, I would stick with the 204's. 2-1 pipes like the Supertrapp will help give you good bottom end and midrange tq. without sacrificing top end too much. There are also the Bassini Pro Street 2-2 exhast pipes that will perform just as well down low as a 2-1 and give you excellent top end as well.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:47 AM
GunmetalBlueNT
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
211's dont like stock compression. You need some headwork.

My bike is essentially the identicle build as yours but with milled and ported heads, hand matched rings, and a 3 angle valve job with a set of Big Shot Staggered pipes.

The bike dynoed at 93HP and 104TQ. Thats uncorrected and I'm at 6000 feet above sea level. Add 10% to the numbers if you are at sea-level or 100HP and 115TQ. The Dynojet altitude calculator claims the correction for mt high altitude is 107HP and 119TQ. I dont belive that but 10% would be a realistic estimate as we lose 10-15% power up here in the clouds!!

Before the heads and closer fitting rings were dome the bike was at 82Hp and 89TQ. So if you do the math there? It was about the same as yours is now cept' the Big Shot Staggereds pipes do a bit better on TQ due to the powerchamber! So having the heads milled got me 13Hp and 15TQ. Add that to what you got now and you will be quite pleased.

Having the heads ported and milled alnog with a set of S&S adjustable pushrods and hand matching those rings bumped my comp up a good bit and made the 211 cams work way better. It copst me $850-900 bucks.

A better 2-1 pipe like a pro-pipe or something along those lines would help even more. By running those 211's on stock compression you are leaving a slew of money on the table.

Compression is the trick with 211's! The SE catalog even clearly states the 211's are a cam designed with higher than stock compression bigger bore builds.

Ummmm, "hand matched rings"????? LOL! Whats that supposed to mean, LOL!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:46 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I went through the same decision as Ur going through last yr.
Theres some really good info above and Chaz has (been there done that) on the 95" and has given sound advice as usual.

Being a retired Maintance man I wanted to get it right the first time and not have to change later like U R now. So I studied & read a lot on bolt in cams last winter..no expert, but I did learn a lot.

What I havent seen yet is what RPM's do U spend most of U time and where do U want the TQ? Low-Mid, or Mid-high.
First thing U will have to do, is figure out where do U want it (TQ) to be.

Ur 211's are Mid-high rpm's cams a little dogie, low, without head work and a bump in comp. Strong probable after 3k, again not if U want low end.

The 204's are great cams for lighter bikes. Our dealer is putting the Andrews 4* advance gear on them and that moves the TQ left to where they will come on around 2700 rpm's. Still the TQ on a heavy bike is down a little under 2500rpm's.
My son put the 204's in his 07 Deuce and 09 NT, both with the 4* advance and he loves them, they sound bad at idle and a lighter bike there really crank it on..

The 203's is a bagger cam, which I needed on mine, but after My search I choose the 26's. they fit my needs. which may not even be close to Ur needs.

Here's a site that I found to be of great help in choosing my Cams hope its helps U.
WWW.bigboyzcycles.com/tccams.htm

Also this forum has two really good threads on dyno's. they have one in the touring section that has over 1k of dyno and build sheets and numbers..
Go to touring section and its a sticky thread on page 1 tittled
DYNO Numbers for Baggers

Then we have one in the Softail Model section and its also a sticky thread on page 1 in that section. tittled
DYNO Numbers for Softails
There are the sheets and Numbers of different builds of softail in there also.

This should help U get started on what to do!! and good picking.

Quick Reply: Advice for 95 inch engine upgrades