Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night train + long road trips???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:12 PM
lainez11
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night train + long road trips???

ok, so i have a nightster with drag bars on 5.5" risers. I'm 5'7" and noticed that after riding for about an hr or 2 it will get real painful in my lower back and neck, and i mean killer pain but only on long rides, i hate it becuase i love the way my bike looks but i also wanted a bike that i can pertty much ride every day(since i live in Cali)! So after much thought and 5000 miles later I will be going to trade in for a night train. LOVE the blacked out engine and would also be great for my lady riding as a passenger!! so before i buy anything i would really love to hear from all u guys out there??

So here's the big question! 06 or newer night train what would you do to make this great bike an amazing ride? looking for different handlebars and seats mostly but any info would be great! leaning torwards street slammer but seems like most people that go on long rides have apes??? also thinking of getting the SAS air ride so i can go from slammed to great ride with just flipping a switch! any one ever ride on one with an air ride?? pics of night trains with different handlebars would help alot!!!!! this way i can really make up my mind!
love this forum!!! its great to have fellow riders help each other out

Last edited by lainez11; 04-07-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:28 PM
mstng5point0
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an 08 train and last year anything over an hour would kill my back. I switched out the bars for 7 inch carlini drag bars and made a huge difference. rode on and off for like 4 or 5 hours on sunday and my back never had a problem what so ever. My butt was kinda sore but not bad at all. I love the bike only problem now is my neck starts to hurt on the highway after a little while.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:29 PM
bncer18
Cruiser

check out the NT picture thread....pleanty of bad a$$ bikes and great ideas that should keep you busy for hours

Old 04-07-2009, 08:41 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never had a prob with my back ever, but my shoulder always hurt a little but proly from the narrow stock bars............seat never botherd me eather but when i put the heartland kit on, man its sits you nice in low in the bike with like 5 + inches of back support and rides 20 time better then stock

Old 04-07-2009, 08:51 PM
bgibbster
Tourer

I have a night train with 8" risers and stock handlebar, and had no problem with my back on the trip to Daytona Beach Bike Week(from Houston) We rode the 940 miles back in one day with no real probs.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have stock bars and thinking of swtiching them out, I have the same problem my neck and sholders get sore but love the look. I may just try some pullback risers before I go for new bars.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 PM
mstng5point0
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
I have stock bars and thinking of swtiching them out, I have the same problem my neck and sholders get sore but love the look. I may just try some pullback risers before I go for new bars.
I was in the same boat as you i really like the look of the stock bars. But after i put the carlini's on i think it looks 100 times better. They look awsome,

Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
+1 thats wut i was thinking or taller risers, taller risers bring the bars closer too you a tad

Old 04-07-2009, 09:10 PM
agapsdiver
Road Master
Received 124 Likes on 52 Posts

I have had the Saddlemen King Seat for 3 years on my NT and won't get another MC without one.
The Gel is fantastic...you can't go wrong. Got Wide Glide handlebars…
Took a trip from Austin to the Grand Canyon last year one month after
back surgery, L5S1,.. some days over 700 miles..... no problem riding...
at night the back got a little stiff. Yearly go to Big Bend… 450 miles..no problems..

Attached Thumbnails Night train + long road trips???-temp.jpg  
Old 04-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mstng5point0
I was in the same boat as you i really like the look of the stock bars. But after i put the carlini's on i think it looks 100 times better. They look awsome,
They are the same ones I've been looking at. Not sure yet which way I'm going. They do look good though.

Quick Reply: Night train + long road trips???