Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have stage 1 dealer download experience/advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:27 PM
JR Ryder
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by papifun
Did u order from Fuel Moto.. with custom fee's and taxes,exchange.. what did it all cost... or did u ship to Buff and pick it up there ?
I was actually put on to Doc here before I knew Fuel Moto had them. Pricing was almost EXACTLY the same. I think Doc's shipping was $25, and Fuel Moto was $32. If you had seen my previous post, you'll see I only ordered it a few hours ago, therefore I don't know what the duties/taxes will be (if anything at all because Doc is labeling it as a "GIFT"), HOWEVER, it has been my experience that with all of the many many things I have purchased over the years from the U.S.A., the duty/tax is usually equivalent to the G.S.T. (our goods and services tax.... formerly 7%, now 5%) on the assessed value of the item(s). I think my total was $488.95 U.S.D. which included all cables, and shipping, as well as a specially written "start-up" manual written by Doc himself...... of course if there ARE any more fees required, I'll have to pay them at the post office upon pick-up. I spent quite a while on the phone with him this week, and I felt he was very knowledgeable on the topic of tuning. He also said he would give me as much help as required to help dial it in....... JR

Last edited by JR Ryder; 04-02-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:15 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazycalvin
I knew I should have put an edit onto my thread about V-Tune. I felt like I originally did not need to say it in this particular thread due to the fact that the original poster was refering to a 2009 Harley-Davidson which would come from the factory with o2 sensors. Had the original poster been refering to a Harley-Davidson that was something other than a 2006 and up Dyna series or a 2007 and on up of any other series, I would not had mentioned the V-Tune software. In the defense of not using V-Tune software, an individual can still tune a motorcycle without a dyno providing they have an idea what they are doing and possibly can obtain an exhaust gas analyzer. It is not an impossible task. Later, Calvin.
Since people often jump into a thread without reading the original post, I figured it was important to mention this.

While it's not an impossible task to tune a bike without a dyno, it's not a very good idea to start mucking around with timing and fuel curves without one, and there probably are very few people who have (or have access to) an exhaust gas analyzer.

I've seen people make hash out of their car engines by screwing around with fuel and timing without having the proper diagnostic tools, and it's just as easy to screw up a bike.

I stand by my statement; you can use a canned map, and you can tweak the system yourself if you're comfortable doing so, but with certain rare exceptions you'll be better off with a quality dyno tune.

Edit- I'm not trying to start a pi$$ing match either, but let's be honest here, there are very few people who should be messing around with their fuel and spark tables without having the feedback of at least their O2 sensors. Butt dynos are notoriously unreliable, and when it comes to a bike that may have cost the owner tens of thousands of dollars, they're far better off having someone tune it properly.

Last edited by '05Train; 04-03-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:48 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rthomp159
While it's not an impossible task to tune a bike without a dyno, it's not a very good idea to start mucking around with timing and fuel curves without one, and there probably are very few people who have (or have access to) an exhaust gas analyzer.

that is how i got my thundermax so cheap. someone was messing with the timing and could not get it right. I leave it alone and it works great. "dont fix it if it is not broke"

Old 04-03-2009, 04:51 PM
JR Ryder
Tourer

Hey thanks guys....... I'm not very educated on EFI systems, but I'm a very patient and thorough person....... almost obsessively... haha, and I'm not even putting gas in my bike until I'm confident I've done as much as I can to get it as close as I can to PERFECT. This will include thoroughly educating myself on the TTS software, as well as consultation with Doc, as well as forum members. I'm nervous..... don't get me wrong, this is a scary proposition, and I'm feeling a little rushed too because the nice weather has been rolling in. I have had all winter to do this, and I achieved all of my other rebuild goals. The last thing was fuel management, and I was ready to get the PC V until I saw pictures, and read horror stories. I'm gonna have to do my best with the TTS....... J.R.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Crazycalvin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rthomp159
Since people often jump into a thread without reading the original post, I figured it was important to mention this.

I've seen people make hash out of their car engines by screwing around with fuel and timing without having the proper diagnostic tools, and it's just as easy to screw up a bike.

I stand by my statement; you can use a canned map, and you can tweak the system yourself if you're comfortable doing so, but with certain rare exceptions you'll be better off with a quality dyno tune.

Edit- I'm not trying to start a pi$$ing match either, but let's be honest here, there are very few people who should be messing around with their fuel and spark tables without having the feedback of at least their O2 sensors. Butt dynos are notoriously unreliable, and when it comes to a bike that may have cost the owner tens of thousands of dollars, they're far better off having someone tune it properly.

I understand the importance of not "messing" things up also. Each person should take it only to limit they feel comfortable with. The beauty of devices like the TTS, SERT, and SEST is they have the ability show data of a variety of things like "Spark Knock Retard", etc. which can help a knowledgable person make changes to their EFI system. It is not rocket science, black magic, etc. With a little bit of investigating, people can learn a little about EFI. Later, Calvin.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:39 PM
JR Ryder
Tourer

Originally Posted by Crazycalvin
With a little bit of investigating, people can learn a little about EFI. Later, Calvin.

Yep, and I plan on doing my homework. I hope it comes in before next weekend, because it is a holiday weekend, and I'll have an extra day in there to tinker with the system. To make matters even more difficult for me, my laptop is a Macintosh, which is NOT TTS compatible, so my brain will really be working overtime. I'll either need to borrow of buy a Windows-based laptop, buy a Windows based laptop, or load a fresh copy of Vista or XP onto my Intel based Mac, which has a dual-boot program called "Boot Camp". I need to figure out how to back-up my existing hard-drive onto an external hard-drive (which I do not own YET), partition the existing internal hard-drive to allow for the installation of Windows, and educate myself on Windows...... NONE OF WHICH I KNOW HOW TO DO..... Gee, I've only had internet for a year-and-a-half...... My head is spinning. Oh, I also belong to a laptop computer forum.... hahahaha... Good advice over there too..... http://www.notebookreview.com/ Then I have to figure out a way to strap a $3000 laptop to my back seat, and drive around with the lid open at highway speeds.... GREEEEEEAT... I definitely have my work cut out for me........ JR

Last edited by JR Ryder; 04-03-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:50 PM
JR Ryder
Tourer

Just backed up my hard-drive on my Mac laptop, and put gas in the bike tonight. I might be installing Windows XP as early as Tuesday night. Any advice as far as the software is concerned? TTS is on it's way. We are supposed to get 5 to 15 cm of snow tonight, and continued wet-snow and rain all week, so there is really no rush.... JR

Old 04-05-2009, 09:00 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JR Ryder
Just backed up my hard-drive on my Mac laptop, and put gas in the bike tonight. I might be installing Windows XP as early as Tuesday night. Any advice as far as the software is concerned? TTS is on it's way. We are supposed to get 5 to 15 cm of snow tonight, and continued wet-snow and rain all week, so there is really no rush.... JR
advise for the mac, the xp or the TTS?

Old 04-05-2009, 10:39 PM
JR Ryder
Tourer

Originally Posted by tk353
advise for the mac, the xp or the TTS?

Ahhhh, great question.... ummmm, just in general I guess. I always enjoy picking brains of Mac people, and I'm not really too computer savvy with anything really. I get by. I guess I could start by asking: "HOW DO I SAFELY STRAP MY LAPTOP TO THE PASSENGER SEAT WITH THE LID OPEN?".... haha

Is it a fairly easy program to run? read? analyze? adjust?

Old 04-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Gunfighter13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JR Ryder
Talked to Doc today, and I think I'm gonna order the TTS..... any objections?
The TTS or SEST are the best options IMO. You made a good choice.

Quick Reply: Anyone have stage 1 dealer download experience/advice?