Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Fatboy Performance Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:26 PM
hdfatboy08
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Fatboy Performance Mods

Hi guys,
I am a new Harley owner, in fact I am a new motorcycle owner all together so I'm not too familiar with the engines etc which is why I am here . I want to do some performance modifications to my fatboy (2008), but am confused as to where to start. Currently the only thing done engine wise is some Rush slip on pipes and that's it. Ideally I'd like to go with a big bore kit (bump it up to 103ci or maybe 113ci) but after reading up on the screaming eagle kits I've learned its better to go with a different brand. So I am wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as far as what brand kits are the most popular, where I can buy it, and what other mods I should do to my bike in addition to that? Thanks guys!

Old 03-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Archer1968
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i suppose the next step to do is a stage 1 or 2 and a fuel management. i personally use a PCIII, but considering the mods you are looking to do you may want to go with a S.E.R.T. (Screaming Eagle Race Tuner) w/dyno, it has the most ability to accommodate the mods you are looking to do. I can't really comment on the S.E. Kits, havn't heard pos or neg feedback. but you will get lots of different answers to your question. Hope this helps. congrats on the new scoot and welcome to the forums.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:50 PM
trozenhorse
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have an 05 which comes with a smaller engine and a 5 speed instead of the 6 speed you have, I did the stage one and cant imagine wanting or needing more power, i am also new to bikes etc. started with a sprty 883 that is now 1200, but the fatboy i have is sweet and powerful, spend the money on cosmetic mods after stage one...but thats only my opinion....good luck

Old 03-30-2009, 08:19 PM
jd8181
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have an 03 night train that came stock with an 88" and ended up putting a 95" kit in it. it's a HUGE difference. stock 96" has (about the same hp as an 88" but more tq) 62 hp and 77 tq. i've got S&S 585 cams (a pretty aggressive came), S&S gear drive cams kit, SE flat top pistons, SE puahrods, SE air cleaner with k&n filter, SERT, Hooker Troublemakers (had it tuned and dynoed with python3 pipes), hiflow oil pump, new cam plate, harley oil cooler (hardly ever get about 205 degrees), cleaned up the heads and put new springs in them (no real head work, but if i did it would be another easy 10-15 more hp and tq). and had it sert tuned on the dyno. i ended up with 91 HP 96 TQ, after riding my bike for so long i don't know if i could go back to a stock bike. if you have it dyno tuned check around and ask around. there are a lot of place the tune........ and they are some places that really tune. make sure you fine a place that knows what they are doing and talk to the tuner. i've read a lot of people have to get there bikes tuned 3 or 4 times because they didn't get a good tune, or the tuner wasn't any good. i good tuner by a good tuner make all the difference.
i sent you a pm

Old 03-30-2009, 08:31 PM
nhbouncer
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trozenhorse
i have an 05 which comes with a smaller engine and a 5 speed instead of the 6 speed you have, I did the stage one and cant imagine wanting or needing more power, i am also new to bikes etc. started with a sprty 883 that is now 1200, but the fatboy i have is sweet and powerful, spend the money on cosmetic mods after stage one...but thats only my opinion....good luck
Yea you can't imagine wanting more power till your riding buddy with his new mods blows by you on the road and you can't catch him. Then you'll want more!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:13 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Its all about money and how much you want to spend. If budget minded, finish stage 1 with A/C and PC V, or SERT or ... If ya want more, try adding a cam (Andrews 26 or ?) with adj push rods. Your 07 bike is much easier to install a cam than other years and can be done yourself.

Since you are new to bikes, my guess is this would plenty for you and you will notice the diff!

smokin03 below is thinkin kind a what I am thinkin...

Last edited by KumaRide; 03-30-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Smokin 03
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hdfatboy08
Hi guys,
I am a new Harley owner, in fact I am a new motorcycle owner all together so I'm not too familiar with the engines etc which is why I am here . I want to do some performance modifications to my fatboy (2008), but am confused as to where to start. Currently the only thing done engine wise is some Rush slip on pipes and that's it. Ideally I'd like to go with a big bore kit (bump it up to 103ci or maybe 113ci) but after reading up on the screaming eagle kits I've learned its better to go with a different brand. So I am wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as far as what brand kits are the most popular, where I can buy it, and what other mods I should do to my bike in addition to that? Thanks guys!
If you are new to motorcycles you should leave it as is for now maybe some pipes Get to know it first then go for more power after a year or so. If you go right to a 113CI i think you are just asking for trouble.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:41 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nhbouncer
Yea you can't imagine wanting more power till your riding buddy with his new mods blows by you on the road and you can't catch him. Then you'll want more!
2nd that, was "NEVER IMPRESSED" with seeing bud's passing me. But not any more, fixed that problem!!!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:30 AM
WAhog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 08 Fatboy and I fitted SEAC/SERT/BSS from new but the SE211 cams really did the trick. Goes like a train. Depending on whether you want your power/TQ low down then adjust which cams you pick accordingly. (but that's a whole other story)

Old 03-31-2009, 06:17 PM
08fattoy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the 211 cams effect MPG very much?

Quick Reply: 2008 Fatboy Performance Mods