Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat issue - XiED - INFORMATION

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:35 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like an advertisement

Old 03-28-2009, 09:35 AM
txoval
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, what exactly is a Xied? Is it similiar to a PC? Is it a download or a permanent module?

Old 03-28-2009, 11:59 AM
yankeeflyer72
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XIED`s are pigtails with resistors that plug-in to your O2 sensor lines between the sensor and the ECM. They make the ECM think that the bike is running lean so it richens the mixture. Mine take it from a stock AFR (Air-Fuel Ratio) of 14.7 to 13.8. By richening the mixture the engine runs a little cooler and also gives smoother throttle response. I have had mine for about 15,000 miles with no problems at all. Price for mine was $109.00 versus whatever a fuel management system costs. Not everyone approves of them but they have worked well for me....

Old 03-28-2009, 12:14 PM
SD Night Train
Cruiser

I have yet to read or hear anything bad about them. Cant wait to get them on and woo the guys who are running at 220-230 all summer

Old 03-28-2009, 02:36 PM
David The Hutt
Tourer

i have a set of xieds on my bike. they are decent. they do as advertised but they are a temporary fix. ultimately you need to get a fuel management system like a power commander or one of the others out there (about $300)

i have no complaints about the xied, but make no mistake, its a band-aid not a permanant fix

as for needing the download if you have xied? i say no. i have a stage 1 set up (big sucker) and put a set of low cost slip ons (cycle shack) and my bike rides beautifully. i didnt do the download and see no reason for it other than a way for harley to get another $100 out of you. if it was that important maybe they should make "the download" a "standard thing"

harley p***es me off with some of the games that they play with their customers and their bikes. people have tolerated it for years but i think its going to come back and bite them as consumers start getting wiser and other bikes (american and asian) come out with much better bikes.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:15 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

nightrider.com originally has how to richen your system for under $1. it too was temporary fix until you had the funs for a real fuel management. The fix was to unplug the 02 sensor and replace it with a 330 ohm resistor. That would keep the ecm from having a fault code and let your system run in open loop mode as it does before it warms up. a stock engine will run about 12.1 AFR but if you add pipes and breather it will run about 13.2 to 13.5 AFR. I ran mine for 6 months and 12,000 miles before getting a PCIII and a dyno tune. I have seen some EXID for sell on forum classified for about $50 and used PCIII for about $100 to $150. I gave $150 for my PCIII and after a year sold it for $150 and got the Thundermax for $450. I would had to have paid for another dyno tune when I changed the pipes so I went with the used Thundermax instead
here is a quote from nightrider.com
"In the future Nightrider plans on providing a way that you can make your own O2 eliminator for your bike. This Do-It-Yourself O2 eliminator will cost under $10 to make. For those of you that are adventurous, the O2 eliminator is nothing more than a 330 ohm resistor replacing the NBO2 sensor. All you need to do is remove the O2 sensor and connect the resistor between the Blue and Gray wires that run to the OEM sensor."

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/h...o2_upgrade.htm

Old 04-02-2009, 10:41 PM
SD Night Train
Cruiser

TK353....I am referring to the XiED here not the LC1 Wide Band O2 upgrade

Old 04-02-2009, 11:26 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the band aid .............not for perfomance........why not spend another 2 hundo and do it right.............

Old 04-03-2009, 07:08 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by SD Night Train
TK353....I am referring to the XiED here not the LC1 Wide Band O2 upgrade
so am i

Old 04-03-2009, 02:48 PM
sawinwa
Cruiser

I have an 07 Softail Custom with a SE A/C kit and SE slip-ons, along with an XiED. These 3 items didn't make it a hot rod, but sure cooled it down, made the throttle roll-on better, and seemed to add a bit of power & torque (definitely notice it on the long uphill highway grades in the foothills around here, where the stock setup seemed so restricted that I had to shift down). No troubles. Just my experience.

Like most of the guys say, if you want to rod it up more, go w/ full pipes and some kind of ecm module. Don't see any reason w/ any of them to get a Stage 1 flash upgrade, myself.

Quick Reply: Heat issue - XiED - INFORMATION