Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Heritage Heat problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Kski
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Heritage Heat problem

Someone mentioned this on my last thread and I just came across some other reviews from different places online mentioning excessive heat on the right side of the bike. I'm sure this has been brought up before but I did a search on here and came up dry. Does anyone have this problem or know of a way to fix it? I'm thinking about picking up an 07 and would like to know if I should step up to 08 or not.

Thanks

Old 03-26-2009, 09:05 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would do the 08...But, I may be a little bias!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:38 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the heat problem you're referring to is the one that everyone was talking about when HD switched from the 88 to the 96. 2007 was the year this change happened and alot of talk was how much hotter the 96 ran. If you do a Stage 1 and run synthetic oil, this shouldn't be much of a problem but you may want to hear from the '07 owners.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:47 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a '07 street glide that gets REALLY hot when I have to sit in traffic a bit... I"ll be doing a stage one next week which I hope will cool it down... I have a California bike and will be using the Power Commnader III with oxygen sensor eliminators to avoid the lean mixture when sitting in traffic... I'll let you know how it goes...

Old 03-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Kski
Tourer

So the stage 1 gets rid of that huh? Is that the SE Big Bore Stage 1 kit or is it the remap, intake, exhaust upgrade?

Old 03-26-2009, 11:39 PM
pooh6369
Advanced

Have a 07 Heritage changed pipes, got the stage1 and mapped it. Switch to amsoil no real heat issues and I live in Vegas!

Old 03-26-2009, 11:49 PM
SD Night Train
Cruiser

I have an 07 night train with the same problem....the stage 1 setup from HD will not fix your problem. Go to www.NightRider.com for information on the cure for high heat. Email them with your concerns and questions.....they guy who emailed me back and forth was great. The XiED's that they make are $109 and you will find many on here who swear by it.

I sent the following email to Nightrider about their XiED and below you will see their reply....

My email to them:
"I am looking to change from stock to Hooker Trouble Makers and a Stage 1 air cleaner and some sort of fuel management on my 2007 FXSTB (Night Train). I am looking to have the bike run cooler as well which is what I like about XiED. Getting the HD stage 1 flash voids the warrenty on the Hooker pipes so that is not an option.

Which would I order...the XiED or the X14iED? If I run either of the 2 is there any need for a Power Commander or any of those other systems? I dont plan to ever tune this on my own. Is there a certain Air Cleaner kit that you guys recommend for best results?"

Their reply to my email:
"The XiED's would be the preferred upgrde for an 07 Softail.

If you are not an aggressive rider or don't care about what a dyno sheet says you get at wide open throttle, there is little reason for anything other than the XiED. You can't ride a dyno sheet (you don't ride your bike at 100% throttle). IED's are effective under 4000RPM and under 40% throttle in closed loop ECM operation, which is about 95% of where the average rider spends his time on the bike.

I actually recommend riders just replace the OEM filter element with the K&N replacement element. You can put a couple of 1/2" holes in the bottom of the black plastic backing to get some extra air flow, but that is all you need. This saves you money and provides all the benefit you need for a bike like yours."

Be careful with the Stage 1 setup from HD....some pipes such as Hookers will not honor warranty work if you have the Stage 1 download from HD as it makes the bike run too lean....XiED is the way to go. NightRider.com is great at answering emails and will tell you that it is not necessary to switch out anything but the pipes. Then you can do the AC and fuel management when you have the $$. Once you get into engine mods then they recommend AC and fuel management b/c that means that you are looking for increased performance.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:51 PM
SD Night Train
Cruiser

I am still running stock right now and my buddy has V&H Big Radius, the stage 1 AC kit from HD and the HD Stage 1 download and his bike runs 30-35 degrees hotter than mine all the time.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:58 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

My 07 was one of the early production models (Custom) that ran hotter than hell. They did a recall on them and remapped it to run cooler, but it was still running in the 250 and up range just tooling around. In traffic it got hot enough to be really uncomfortable.
After I changed the pipes for V&H Big Radius and added a stage 1 intake I pulled the ECM and replaced it with a ThunderMax w/Autotune, changed the oil to Mobile 1.
Now its only on the hottest days in traffic that I will see the temps get up to around 230.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:42 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

If you suffer from heat problems while sitting in traffic,check out or Crotch coolers they do work very well.I can tell you that they work very well and that we sell a lot of them.If it does not work as advertised simply send it back for a full refund.We also can make them match the studs on your softail.Thank you

Quick Reply: 2007 Heritage Heat problem