Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting a flush gas gauge (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:55 AM
cmcarr88
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info ... fixing to change mine out this weekend ...

Old 12-14-2010, 08:37 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Don't worry about the light color... it won't be long before they aren't working anyway. Then you can just paint the dots on top in any color that you like and use your tripmeter.

C#

Old 05-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Axxehead
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Rocker install

Thanks for the instructions & photos. I have a 2" tank lift so the connector was real easy to get to. Disconnected the neg. battery. Didn't need to mess with anything else. Ended up just cutting the old wires off above the connector to pull out the old fuel gauge. Doubt if I'll ever go back to stock. BTW my part is #75020-08C. We'll see how the LED lights hold up.

Last edited by Axxehead; 05-08-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 AM
Arizona Sage
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post! Thanks for sharing. I've got an 07 Road King with this setup and have a question I'm hoping you or someone else can answer. I was leaving work yesterday (Phoenix, AZ) and noticed the LED gauge had popped up, as if the springs gave way inside. Didn't affect the ride or anything but wondering if the bike being outside in the heat may have loosened or triggered this? After I got it home and found your thread, I gently pressed it back a few dozen times and it finally "clicked" and stuck. Now I'm paranoid about it. Any reason I should need to take further action?

Thanks, from a noob.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:02 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona Sage
Great post! Thanks for sharing. I've got an 07 Road King with this setup and have a question I'm hoping you or someone else can answer. I was leaving work yesterday (Phoenix, AZ) and noticed the LED gauge had popped up, as if the springs gave way inside. Didn't affect the ride or anything but wondering if the bike being outside in the heat may have loosened or triggered this? After I got it home and found your thread, I gently pressed it back a few dozen times and it finally "clicked" and stuck. Now I'm paranoid about it. Any reason I should need to take further action?

Thanks, from a noob.
HI
It is possible for these to "disengage". Mine has done it
If you've ever looked at the mechanism that secures this you will see that it has to be pushed down and under a tab that hold it in place. It has to be perfectly pressed down and clicked into place for it to not move. Mine was misaligned and I chewed the plastic part in my housing. Still works though and stays put. Click it up and check to make sure nothing looks like its broken. If the tab gets out of shape, since its plastic, it can cause it to come loose. I had to do the same exact thing as you, press it several times until its secured in place. If you have more problems and its under the year time period you purchased it...warranties are a good thing so I advise you to take advantage if needed.
Hope this helps.
jc

Last edited by jcallesano; 07-02-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 AM
fatboy1729
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know this thread is a few years old and am sorry if it seems that I did steal it. I just had a quick question. I sent the op of this thread a message and I am hoping he sees it. I already have the flushmount kit installed now. My question to him is how hard will it be to remove the flushmount kit and swap it over to another tank same year and model? I did not do the install. Thanks for anyones time and advice...

Old 07-02-2013, 08:21 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

this is a good thread to resurrect. I have seen those flush mounts before, but thought that the install was much more complex. I missed this thread first time around.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Arizona Sage
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcallesano
If you have more problems and its under the year time period you purchased it...warranties are a good thing so I advise you to take advantage if needed.
jc
Thank you for your quick response. I bought the bike privately a year ago so no warranty. It also reads at 2 lights all the time now, no matter the fuel level. I've just gotten used to using my trip-ometer to gauge my fuel level but am curious if there's an easy fix for that? If not, I'll just deal with it the way it is until I have the $ to get it fixed properly.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:00 AM
steamybob
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A great looking mod even if it is a tad expensive (£200 for us limeys!).

Old 07-02-2013, 01:48 PM
a99miata
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

excellent job...can I come over on saturday and have you show me again? lol

Quick Reply: Mounting a flush gas gauge (with pics)