Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting a flush gas gauge (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:40 AM
OS_DELUXE
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great post... nice job Mordrapheus

Old 01-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaSham58
That is my next mod on my 09 Heritage I hope I can get to the wires without lifting the tank ! How accurate is the gauge a friend of mine has one on his Roadking Screaming eagle and he says when ever just 2 lights are showing he has to find a gas station quick!
you should have no trouble getting to the wiring under the tank without lifting the tank. Unless maybe some tech decided to be clever and really hide it away when and if they ever had to lift your tank for some work.

So far it has been accurate for me.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the compliments guys.

Yeah I need to post this in the cheap DIY section, need to find the images at home and then will post

Old 01-13-2010, 02:17 PM
luvtoride
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While doing some looking on ebay I came across this deal...Someone with a black Road King might be interested. Looks like a great buy. (I'm not affiliated with this guy)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6989&viewitem=

Old 01-14-2010, 07:09 AM
vonzoog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use eBay a lot and have been very successful in finding many good deals in quality and price. Simply put, over ten years of buying and selling I have learned the hard way.

The above post of an eBay item has two major flaws "in my opinion". 1st and most important, it does not give a part number. And 2nd it does not state if it a complete kit. Is all the accessories, instructions, etc., there or not? He does say new in original package. So is it an open package? Returned?

Just trying to give some useful pointers that I have learned the hard way. This could very will be the deal of month. Most Harley dealers that sell on eBay will tell you the part numbers and if is a restocked item or not. This guy has a top rated seal on his site, but he does not appear to be in the business of selling Harley parts. This looks to be an item that he has come across.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Hrdhtdvr
Advanced

Originally Posted by Citoriplus
I used a paper clip and pair of needle nosed pliers. Worked just fine and didn't cost anything.

Damn, so far I've tried an awl, small allen wrench, and jewlers screw diver. The damn thing wont budge ! Any tips for getting the wires free?

Old 12-12-2010, 07:43 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordrapheus
I put mine on a 09 so no help there with the older models...if memory serves right they only added these somewhere in 07 or maybe even 06 to their catalog

Other than maybe the wiring I can't think of why they should not work on any of the older EFI models. Don't think the tank shape change much.
I put a set on my 05 Carbureted. Cap crapped out this past summer so I put the stock one back on. I unplugged the gauge cause the lights were annoying at night. I'm thinking about removing the gauge and removing the tube in the hole that is for routing the wires. I figure I can use the hole as a drink holder if it's big enough or maybe put some plastic flowers in it like they had on the dash of the newer VW Bugs.

I think the flush mount do look good however.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:13 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by vonzoog
Where can I get one of those "special" tools and what is it call? Part number?
There is one listed in the HD shop manuals.

I found mine at a very good electronics supply house.

Auto mechanics have to have them, too.

You can use a 'pin' of the right diamter, but if it's too small (or maybe even too big) you can distort the lock pin on the connector so that you won't have a solid connection and you might end up with a short. It also required a lot of patience from me to make sure that I was doing it right and when you are trying to work under a propped up gas tank, that takes some doing where I'm concerned <grin>.

The shop manual also shows how to disconnect all of the types of connectors on your bike. I don't remember which version was on the gas gauge hookup.

The manual says that on AMP Multilock Connectors a safety pin can be used. These connectors have a tapered male metal 'pin' that are on the end of the wire on the back of the female end of the connector. They have a locking back cover that you open and a secondary lock on the top so that you can take out the socket carrier. The actual tool is an AMP pin connection 'pick'. No part number... but AMP is pretty common.

Deutsch connectors have a sealed carrier that has a rubber gasket around it. They are also locking and have back out pins (red on my bike). The male wire terminal is simply a round rod that connects to a female wire terminal that is a round metal 'tube'. The HD part number for the Deutsch connector Pick tool is HD-41475-100. There are also mini-Deutsch connectors that aren't as sophisticated in their waterproofing design.

Packard connectors (an example of these is on the back of your speedo) have the most difficult type metal wire end connectors in my opinion. They have a 'tang' on them that you have to depress with a pin (safety pin will work) and then you have to reset the tang by ever so slightly bending the tang back up so that it will lock the connector into the carrier. To simplify this, you need a SnapOn TT600-3 pick.

Now, you can probably do this with a good supply of pins and needles and no manual. If you get unlucky, however, you also need a special crimping tool to put new connectors on the wires and I would hate to try to find those connectors.

The softail manual for my '06 came in three parts... service, electrical, and parts. I have worked on bikes and cars most of my life. I found out a long time ago that you are always ahead of the game by investing in shop manuals for whatever vehicle you own or repair. The electrical manual in this case would be invaluable.

Now that I think about it I believe that the one to the fuel gauge is a mini-Deutsch. (BTW, I misnomered this connector in my first message and called it a Delphi... that is the fuel injection manufacturer I believe).

Good luck.

C#

Last edited by cwsharp; 12-12-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Hrdhtdvr
Advanced

Does anyone know if they sell this kit with Red Leds? All I can find now is blue leds. IMHO it would look kinda goofy to have blue leds on a red bike.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:04 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hrdhtdvr
Damn, so far I've tried an awl, small allen wrench, and jewlers screw diver. The damn thing wont budge ! Any tips for getting the wires free?
Its been a while since i did it but I think I used a small paper clip with a wedge shape (one side) I put on it with a fine jewelers file.
When you slide it in just put the pins tapered side toward the pin and it should push back the pins latch and then pull the wire and pin out from the rear.

Originally Posted by Hrdhtdvr
Does anyone know if they sell this kit with Red Leds? All I can find now is blue leds. IMHO it would look kinda goofy to have blue leds on a red bike.
As far as I know the only color offered is blue, the last fuel light however will change from blue to red when the tank is low, or more properly when the sending unit inside the tank "thinks' its low.

Quick Reply: Mounting a flush gas gauge (with pics)