Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bobtail tail light

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Xuallus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Damage_Inc
Wow! I didn't look to see how much it was. It's easy when your spending someone elses $$$. I was thinking about going with that one myself but Jesus that's pricey!!
Yeah it's quite a bit... But it is nice. I may end up going with it eventually, for now I think I'm just going to leave it the way it is.

I tried shumachers idea, but that would require some kind of cover for the inner fender struts and wiring... And it just looked.. wrong I guess. Maybe with a 3" slam, but that would probably make it ride like chit.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jasperpso

do you want to sell yours?
PM sent....

Old 03-23-2009, 08:37 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeh, you would prob have to make a cover to make it look right. Still the most inexpensive idea

Old 03-23-2009, 09:14 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Xuallus
I tried shumachers idea, but that would require some kind of cover for the inner fender struts and wiring... And it just looked.. wrong I guess. Maybe with a 3" slam, but that would probably make it ride like chit.
I like Schu's idea.
As for making the bracket for a cheaper taillight (Cat's eye maybe) its not as hard as you think. In fact if you made one there is nothing telling you that you can't do Schu's idea. Just don't bother mounting a light.
There would not be any kind of welding needed. The worst would be a little cutting, drilling, and bending of some sheet metal.
All you need to do is make up a cardboard template and copy it on some 1/8" sheet aluminum. That poster board we used to use for class projects in grammar and high school works especially well for something like this. But a good old pizza box top will work just as well.
Cut it to match the contour of the underside of the fender and bend it forward at the sides to match the sides of the original taillight, mark the mounting holes. Then all you have to do is trace it to a sheet of aluminum, bend it where its needed and your in. It doesn't have to fit the underside of the fender perfectly. A cheap piece of car door edge guard along the top curve will let you get away with a lot of 'errors' in cutting and prevent it from rattling as a bonus.

Last edited by In Memoriam Citoriplus; 03-23-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Jacobi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother-in-law has a piece of diamond plate steel in place of his tail light and uses his signals for his brake lights. How difficult is it to make your rear signals function as brake, tail lights, and turn signals?

-Barry-

Old 03-23-2009, 10:17 PM
travis dasher
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the run-turn-brake kit from the dealer. Then do Citori's idea with the sheet metal. Rattle can it black and mount your light. Good Luck

Old 03-23-2009, 10:29 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

travis is right, making the turns into run, turn, brake lights is simple.
Get the kit from Harley and they even include red turn signal lenses.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Xuallus
Road Master

Originally Posted by Citoriplus
travis is right, making the turns into run, turn, brake lights is simple.
Get the kit from Harley and they even include red turn signal lenses.
Simple enough to just rewire it, just gotta make the cover.

Lots of great suggestions here guys, thanks for the input

Old 03-23-2009, 10:42 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

Originally Posted by Xuallus
Simple enough to just rewire it, just gotta make the cover.
It 'sounds' simple when you say it like that. But in practical terms its not as easy to do as it sounds. The stock turn signals are single element (1156) bulbs so unless you want to go through the trouble of mounting a set of front turn signals on the rear *with their dual element 1157 bulbs) you really do need one of the modules to operate it properly. Even if you do go the front turn signal route, your still going to need a brake turn module to get three functions from two elements.
Besides the HD version (and a couple of others) are really sweet plug and play units that don't require any wire cutting or splicing.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:30 AM
Xuallus
Road Master

Originally Posted by Citoriplus
It 'sounds' simple when you say it like that. But in practical terms its not as easy to do as it sounds.
<snip>
Besides the HD version (and a couple of others) are really sweet plug and play units that don't require any wire cutting or splicing.
See, that's where we differ... I see a fabrication project and go looking for something pre-built, whereas you can design it in your head and just build something beautiful and elegant. You see a wiring project and go looking for something pre-built, whereas I can design it in my head and slap it together for next to nothing... It's all in what you know and where your skills/talents lie. Unfortunately I don't know anyone right now that is a serious metalworker, and since I got laid off a few weeks ago I don't have a real shop anymore, just my garage.

The plan you had for the custom bracket seems easy enough that I could probably pull it off, I just don't want anything half-assed on my baby...

I've got a lot of thinking to do... Part of me has always wanted to ditch that fender altogether... I've always loved the look of the Fat Boy fender, and of course the heartland kits are amazing...

Cabin fever is killing me, I really need to ride

Quick Reply: Bobtail tail light