Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Exhaust law

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:19 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Exhaust law

2010 Exhaust law
I was in New Hampshire this weekend and a local Biker/ Law enforcement guy was talking about loud pipes and mentioned a new law for 2010.

He claims that all bikes from 2010 up must have the stock exhaust or they are considered,
“Not Street Legal”.

Depending on the circumstances it could mean a tow or a ticket.
Anyone ever heard of this?
And yes I know what my grandma told me “believe ˝ of what you see and nothing of what you hear”.

Rumors are rumors but, if this is true I wonder how many states will follow? So much for
“Live free or die”.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:26 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id say not true are they gonna make a 77 cuda put the stock pipes on ha ha i dont think so................motorcycles have the lowest emisions anywho

Old 03-19-2009, 09:31 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain

Sorry, I should have said all bikes manufactured as model year 2010 and up.
This sounds like a reason to pull us over and say “what year is that?”

Old 03-19-2009, 09:34 PM
nhbouncer
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been killed in New Hampshire but they did have such a new law on the tables.
It was title New Hampshire HB-95. But as I stated they have killed this for the time being.

AN ACT relative to motorcycle equipment and noise levels.

Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:

1 New Paragraph; Motorcycle Muffler Modifications. Amend RSA 266:59 by inserting after paragraph IV the following new paragraph:

V.(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motorcycle in any manner.

(b) No person shall drive on a way a motorcycle that has after market equipment installed to replace the muffler.

(c) Any person who violates the provisions of this paragraph shall be guilty of a violation and shall be fined not less than $100 nor more than $500.

2 Motorcycle Noise Levels. Amend RSA 266:59-a to read as follows:

266:59-a Motorcycle Noise Levels.

I. No person shall operate a motorcycle which has a measured noise level of more than [106] 95 decibels on the decibel meter when measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe at a 45 degree angle while the engine is operating at 2,800 revolutions per minute for one and 2 cylinder motorcycles and 3,500 revolutions per minute for any motorcycle with 3 or more cylinders.

II. No person shall pass for the purposes of the inspection required by RSA 266:1 any motorcycle which has a measured noise level of more than [106] 95 decibels on the decibel meter when measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe at a 45 degree angle while the engine is operating at 2,800 revolutions per minute for one and 2 cylinder motorcycles and 3,500 revolutions per minute for any motorcycle with 3 or more cylinders.

II-a. No person shall operate in this state any motorcycle which produces a sound level in excess of [106] 95 decibels on the A scale, when measured in accordance with the provisions of the Society of Automotive Engineers Recommended Practice ANSI/SAE J-1287 annual report on “Measurement of Exhaust Sound Levels of Stationary Motorcycles.”

III. Any person who violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation and shall be fined not less than $100 nor more than [$300] $500.

3 New Section; Equipment of Vehicles; Motorcycles; Tachometer. Amend RSA 266 by inserting after section 77 the following new section:

266:77-a Tachometer. No person shall drive on a way a motorcycle without a functioning tachometer. Any person who violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation and shall be fined not less than $100 nor more than $500.

4 Effective Date. This act shall take effect January 1, 2010.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think i would move to another state if that passed..............

Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 PM
nhbouncer
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea we can still ride with no helmets or insurance but damn it change your exhaust and watch out!

Old 03-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another stupid law, why just pick on bikes as big trucks with straight pipes make more noise than that. It seems like all Northeast states are trying to get noise laws passed this year. I hear NY had one too and Ct has one that they are working on too.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:41 AM
mike@nhca.us
Tourer

At this point be happy it failed.

...and remember with 400+ house members al lot of bills get introduced and go no where.

Mike

Old 03-20-2009, 07:18 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I can understand them trying to pass a law about noise, its dumb.
But I believe that places like Denver already has that kind of law on the books now, but a tach?
They wanted to REQUIRE a functional tach on EVERY bike ever made, I didn't see where it specified any kind of starting year for that.
What the hell does a tach have to do with noise, safety, or emissions. So if that law had passed every new bike (Softails) in NH would have to be equipped from the dealer with a combo speedo/tach or it wouldn't be allowed on the road? Everyone else would be required to add one to their bike if it didn't have one already?
Aside from the blatant stupidity of it, who would want to stick an add-on tach on to something like a 1944 Harley military WR or any other older bike.

Last edited by In Memoriam Citoriplus; 03-20-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:09 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there is a federal law already about noise. but only a few states enforce it. there are some that require the EPA approved stamp. when i bought my baffles they said they were not 95 db approved. I have heard diesel trucks that are louder than my pipes and do get me started on boom sound from car stereo

Quick Reply: 2010 Exhaust law