Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Exhaust law

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Rail
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

So much for "Live Free or Die"

Old 03-20-2009, 08:39 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In Oklahoma, we have had a noise law for years. more or less, any level higher than stock is illegal, anything that amplifies exhaust noise illegal.
The law is not not enforced here or will it ever be enforced. I would think, if a neighbor did not like your exhaust they could complain and you would have to change it. But, you would then have to worry about all of the other laws someone would be able to complain about you.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:51 AM
nhbouncer
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

NH does already have a "noise" law and it's 106db measured so many inches from your tail pipe at a 45 angle at so many rpms based on it being a v-twin or 4 cylinder. Since so many bikes don't have a tach it's hard for a leo to be able to say your to loud because he can't properly test your bike even if he had a db meter. Lets not even mention how sound is affected by its surroundings as well. I think the only really complaints with bikes come from Hampton Beach and some suburban areas I think for the most part people deal with it just fine around here. Like mentioned lets not even talk about all the stereos and import exhaust systems that run around all the time as loud or louder. All I know is my bike has Reinharts and no tach and it's staying that way!

Old 03-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Lowbro
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In quebec,canada we also have strict regulations concerning noise levels on bikes.what the Hell ! pretty soon these Damn basterds are going to want our Rides to sound like VaROOM! VROOMROOM! VAROOOOOM! VAROOOOOOM! VAROOOoooommmssshhh instead of Potato!...Potato!...POT !..Potato!..POT !...Potato!...Potato!...POT !.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here we go again. Not ment about you posting this 5speedblu, but about the gov trying to pick on us again. every year they try and so far they have failed. Though I am sure that one day these laws will pass. they we will have a few years where we can ignore them cause they wont inforce them, then we will enter the phase where you can't pass inspection without stock exhaust, and we will do what the british do, they put the stock eshaust back on, pass inspection, they put the aftermarket back on. Another few years and we will arrive to where Germany is now, where if you have a german licence plate you are screwed and will be running with stock exhaust, no if no buts.
For now enjoy the freedom that we still have, for one day some lame as group of old farts that hates everything and especially our bikes, will manage to get the law passed. And one day we will be like in germany running pure stock machines cause everything else is not legal, unless its a show bike.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:19 AM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In today's economy, this would really screw all the after-market companies and dealers. If couldn't customize your bike however you wanted, where would the fun be? Nobody would be buying any new bikes anymore. The older ones that weren't covered by the new law would be in demand since you could still use after-market parts.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:23 AM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike@nhca.us
At this point be happy it failed.

...and remember with 400+ house members al lot of bills get introduced and go no where.

Mike
amen to that

Old 03-20-2009, 11:43 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jbg
In today's economy, this would really screw all the after-market companies and dealers. If couldn't customize your bike however you wanted, where would the fun be? Nobody would be buying any new bikes anymore. The older ones that weren't covered by the new law would be in demand since you could still use after-market parts.
Just another example of idiot politicians forgetting the laws of unintended consequences.
They want to look good so they pass stupid laws that make whole industries illegal.
Just what we need these days, more unemployment.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:28 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the new head of the DOT is a woman bike rider and wants a federal law that we wear helmets. I personnally wear one but i think i should not be made to wear one. if they were realy concerned they would make us all wear leather but that looks silly on a scooter or moped.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They have the old helmet law thing going thru Ct this year too, I think it is a matter of choice. I think the Fla law of having ins you have the choice of helmet or not. Here this year the big push is drunk driving on bikes. For years we were always waved thru spotchecks. I do think the noise from a bike makes people look and they may not pull out in front of you,

Quick Reply: 2010 Exhaust law