Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my rear wheel crooked?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 02:18 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just spent an hour or so with my 07 fxstc to really get a handle on it's configuration. After pissing around with straight edges, squares and what not , these are my findings. The front wheel is offset by designed components about 5/16". The rear swing arm is offset to the right , along with the shocks underneath. Rear wheel is to the right about 1/2". The bob fender is offset about 1/2 to the right and the side plates are different from left and right to blend this in. The backbone is centered and tracks squarely with the lower frame rails. The seat at the front starts in the middle of the bike and goes 1/2" to the right by the time it hits the sissy bar. Since my alignment , in order to track the belt , places the rear wheel straight with the lower frame rails, places the front wheel track line roughly 3/4" to the left of the rear wheel centerline. Now with all this bizzar geometry when it's ridden it will show a couple of interesting things if you look for it.
As mentioned to go down the road, since the bike is left heavy it needs to be tilted ever so slightly to the right. Since wheel tracking is not in the same centerline it will also dog track slightly. This can be seen by an ever so slight turn to the right of the handlebar to go straight. Letting go of the bars it will slowly turn left.
Anyway, that's the long version of why, especially with this fxstc why the tires wear a little more on the right of center.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 03-21-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:54 PM
sportncruise
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to give all their knowledge in this thread.
I know it has helped me and I hope it helps others.
At least now I can tell the guy at the watering hole it is by design, is left heavy, and my leaning to the right to compensate results in this and there is no alignment issue!