Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my rear wheel crooked?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:42 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe your leaning to one side. have someone ride behind you. i have seen where people dont sit even on the seat and that makes you ride tilted.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:10 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing to do with adjustment. It's a vertical c,g problem. Unless you are willing to move the front wheel about 3/8" to the left from where it is and the rear about 1/2 " , as an example, which can't be done with the sprocket you just have to learn to live with it. The right lean is needed to combat the heavier on the left of center balance point of the bike due to wheel placement. This is why it will also likely take off to the left if you let go of the bars. This can all be varified with a level and trying to find where the nuetral point is for balance when sitting on the bike. Mine works out to about 1 degree. I've accepted it for now, as when a tire is worn out, it won't matter if it's dead center or slightly off center. Just the nature of the beast, and if it wasn't for the windvest windshield the 1* would not even be detected when riding.
Ron

Old 03-20-2009, 12:50 PM
sportncruise
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
Nothing to do with adjustment. It's a vertical c,g problem. Unless you are willing to move the front wheel about 3/8" to the left from where it is and the rear about 1/2 " , as an example, which can't be done with the sprocket you just have to learn to live with it. The right lean is needed to combat the heavier on the left of center balance point of the bike due to wheel placement. This is why it will also likely take off to the left if you let go of the bars. This can all be varified with a level and trying to find where the nuetral point is for balance when sitting on the bike. Mine works out to about 1 degree. I've accepted it for now, as when a tire is worn out, it won't matter if it's dead center or slightly off center. Just the nature of the beast, and if it wasn't for the windvest windshield the 1* would not even be detected when riding.
Ron
Is this an issue with all harleys or just soft tails or certain years?

Old 03-20-2009, 02:55 PM
rbabos
Banned

Don't know , but in order to shove that 200 in there things need to be re aranged in order to have the sprocket line up with the gearbox. Swingarm is built to shift the rear wheel to the right considerably. Front and rear fenders are positioned to the wheels so it's not apparent by just looking at it, until you dig further. Front wheel is offset about 5/16" to the right and rear , with my quick measurement is 1/2" plus. Bottom line is left heavy bike needing right lean to go straight with right side front and rear tire wear. Bizzar, isn't it? I still love the damn thing though
Ron

Old 03-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Reverend
Tourer

Originally Posted by rbabos
Ron
Are you saying the wheels aren't vertical? Because if so, the wear pattern won't be equal around the circumference.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:52 PM
gaffney
Advanced

Originally Posted by Reverend
Are you saying the wheels aren't vertical? Because if so, the wear pattern won't be equal around the circumference.
He's saying that the bike naturally leans to the left due to the left side being heavier than the right, so the rider compensates by leaning right. This cause more wear on the right side.

I was wondering if this was why my rear wheel is also mounted slightly left of center. It is more noticeable since I've mounted the HD tri-bar LED taillight. The wheel's centerline is about 1/4" to the left of the bike's centerline.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:12 PM
boosteddelslow
Tourer

Originally Posted by 1996Softail
Check the tech forum there is a thread that shows you how to make the alignment tool it is very easy to check that the wheel is adjusted properly you just use the tool to make sure the axle is centered if it is you are good but if it is not the tire would be crooked not angled so the dirt would still be even because the tire will still make contact maybe you just rode through some dirt but only with half the tire.
Can you post the link for the tech post with the how to make an alignment tool. I cant seem to find it. Thanks

Old 03-20-2009, 07:32 PM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by gaffney
He's saying that the bike naturally leans to the left due to the left side being heavier than the right, so the rider compensates by leaning right. This cause more wear on the right side.

I was wondering if this was why my rear wheel is also mounted slightly left of center. It is more noticeable since I've mounted the HD tri-bar LED taillight. The wheel's centerline is about 1/4" to the left of the bike's centerline.
Yes, you got it right and understand the physics. There are two areas of centerline. One is the fender which has no impact on balance. The main area is centerline between the lower frame rails. The wheels are offset to the right. In your case the offset is the fender/wheel relationship . The wheel if it has the 200mm will still be right of center but fender alignment could be off with the tire to the left. This would be more of a sheet metal bolt on issue. This info is all based on the 07 FXSTC with the 200 mm tire.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 03-20-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:44 PM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by Reverend
With the imbalance I described, yes the wheels traveling down the road will not be vertical. That's why the right side wears more than the rest. Unless you have a 5" wobble in the wheel the wear will be consistant around the whole circumferance.
Ron

Old 03-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Reverend
Tourer

Ron, thanks for the reply. I mentioned about the upright stance because I've got a loose spoke in the rear wheel & this 'may' be one of the reasons why. I know I had a devil of a job with a sidecar outfit I had once, and we put the spoke loosening in that down to the lateral forces.

Of course it may just be one of those things..

Perhaps I ought to ride behind myself to watch one day!!

Quick Reply: Is my rear wheel crooked?