Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive 422's and Back Pain

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:08 PM
kkinderen
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Progressive 422's and Back Pain

I'm hurting! Ever since putting on the 422s my back has been killing me. I cringe at the commute and when I see a car in front of me hit a bump I'm about ready to cry. I know I'm going to slam it hard. I can't tell if it is spine, muscles or internal organs but they are screaming.

The bike goes to the shop tomorrow to put on the new wheels and get some other work done on my refresh project. Hopefully they can loosen up the shocks a bit. I had them installed by someone else and I can only guess that the pre-load is set for maximum weight. Is this possible? If they can back off on the pre-load, might it reduce the crunching I get from the road? If not, can anyone suggest something that might work? My next step is to put stocks back on. Otherwise I'll be in traction.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do adj the preload, should help a bit. Did you lowere it too?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:30 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts
Cool

I had em (for two whole rides)
The rebound was great. Other than that, it rode like a bucket of sh__!!
For a heavier person, like 250lbs, maybe they're good . . . But me (I'm 180) it was a harsh ride. I had it on the minimum setting set at (as close to) stk height as possible. Plus the combo of the HD progv springs (mush) in frt, it was a bad combo.
As I've stated on other posts;
I've had Harley lowering shocks on it, I've had Stock shocks with the Progv adjustable extensions and the 422's. I wanted the stock height back. I got sick of scraping on everything, bottoming out and draging those footboards on every damn turn. I have since put totally stock susp (frt & rr) back in it.
I had forgotten how nice the Heritage actually rode stock. I flat HATED that bike when it was lowered. I prob would have taken the measly 9K trade in even against a used touring bike. One of the dealers up the penninsula had a Police Roadking. I came real close.

My advise to you would be . . . Put the stock shocks back on it (OR) if you're going to run lowered, go air ride.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:31 PM
wolfshead1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warning it may not be your shock suspension.It was the lowered shock that got to my back and fast.I went down 1 1/2 inches from stock and it damn near killed me.Just the angle.I then went from stock to just 3/4 inch shorter and could not be happier.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:39 PM
kkinderen
Road Master

Good points. I'd hate to lose the investment. I probably only have a couple hundred miles on the 422s so far. It is 10 miles to the shop and I dread it. I went with the 422s over air adjustable shocks simply for budget reasons (broke my own rule).

The bike is lowered 2" with the shocks. I don't think it is the angle because I have the front lowered about 1.5" (with Prog lowering springs). I'm certain it is the hard slams.

As for scraping - I seem to be able to control it with no problem. Never bothered me much anyway.

With the new bars, when I'm on smooth road (hard to find in the DC Metro area), the bike is very comfortable. I weigh 260 lbs so hopefully these can be adjusted to suit.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:07 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the 422 and weight about 220 lbs. They are lowered 1.5 in lower than stock and the preload is set to 2 turns from the stiffest spring tension. I ride solo 90 % of the time and I have no problems. It rides much better than with the stock shocks. I did try it at 2 -2.5 in lower when I first installed them and did not like the ride not enought travel so I rised it 1 in.

It could be either that you are to low and bottoming out , stiffening them up may help but if you dont have enough travel for you the ride will suffer or it could be you need more travel and need to rise it up al litte.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:11 AM
04Springer
Advanced

This is good to know as i am contemplating on lowering. i have ridden in lowered cars, some were nice and some were rough as hell. I dont want to end up with the latter. Sometimes i wish there was a way to test ride something like this before dumping time, money and effort into putting them on

Kinderen..if you opt to go back to stock and want to dump the 442's let me know. We are local to each other and I wouldnt mind picking them up

Old 03-19-2009, 08:20 AM
kkinderen
Road Master

Originally Posted by 04Springer
Kinderen..if you opt to go back to stock and want to dump the 442's let me know. We are local to each other and I wouldnt mind picking them up
If we are local, give me a few days to get the bike back out of the shop. Then maybe we can arrange for you to take the Fat Boy out for a spin and try it out. I work out in Ashburn if that's more convenient. I'll let you know if the adjustments help me any. I'm not ready to give up on them yet but they can't stay like they are now.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Lowbro
Road Captain

I got my 422's down 1 inch.the 422 is definitely a upgrade from stock.I love my ride now !

Old 03-19-2009, 08:34 AM
kkinderen
Road Master

OK, I'm getting the impression that preload is not what I should be getting adjusted. I should bring it back up a bit. When I had them installed I asked that they be brought down to the lowest level. Not a smart decision I guess (but it looks good).

I should find out in a few days if there's an improvement.

Quick Reply: Progressive 422's and Back Pain