Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:51 PM
SD Night Train
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading exhaust

I am switching out stock exhaust to Hooker Trouble Makers and wondering what is most recommended for the Stage 1 air cleaner kit.

Also, I've been told by some around town that you need to add a Power Commander or something similar if changing exhaust and AC while others have told me that you dont need to spend the $$.

Any help much appreciated....I have talked to 2 dealers and both have told me differently

Old 03-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would use some sort of fuel management, It will run leaner than stock and hotter. Do all 3, pipes, ac and fuel management you will love the results

Old 03-18-2009, 08:01 PM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to to an air cleaner upgrade, I went with the Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stage 1. The HD kit is around the same price depends on preference I guess.

If you do the air, then yes either the HD download or a Power Commander/SERT/fuel management will be needed. If you purchase a power commander online, most of the dealers can provide a map that is close if not exact to your setup instead of going through having to DYNO it.

I can only recommend what I have done, as it has worked for me and a buddy of mine. I got my power commander from eBay which came with a map and a coupon for a free dyno tune.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:12 PM
bL33d
Cruiser

Hookers sound awesome you'll love it.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:35 PM
gaffster01
Advanced

You will have to do all three with the Trouble Makers as they are a header pipe and you are increaseing the air flow at the intake. You dont if you were to do just slipons.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:13 PM
SD Night Train
Cruiser

a guy I ride with put V&H Big Radius on and they told him he didnt need a Power Commander/SERT/etc. his bike runs about 25 degrees hotter than mine...I have an 07 night train he has an 08 Heritage.

Another guy that we ride with put a D&D 2int1 and the dealer he went to didnt use the O2 sensors but they did install a Power Commander.

Not sure why they plugged the O2 sensors

Last edited by SD Night Train; 03-18-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:39 PM
chordstrummer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the pipes on first, nothing else. Checked the plugs just before the change and have kept my eyes on them since -- probably about 600 miles or so. They look exactly the same, and the bike runs just like it did before, only louder.

Just ordered the SE A/C kit that FuelMoto offers, together with a Power Commander V from them. This should be interesting

Old 03-18-2009, 10:47 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SD Night Train
a guy I ride with put V&H Big Radius on and they told him he didnt need a Power Commander/SERT/etc. his bike runs about 25 degrees hotter than mine...I have an 07 night train he has an 08 Heritage.

Another guy that we ride with put a D&D 2int1 and the dealer he went to didnt use the O2 sensors but they did install a Power Commander.

Not sure why they plugged the O2 sensors
pc3 gets rid of o2 sensors........canned map no need for em

Old 03-18-2009, 11:00 PM
axe_1
Novice

I bought the hooker troublemakers 2.5's (27410-4DHKR). And i love them. EFI harleys run lean to begin with to meet standard. My bike warms up faster then it did before. I would recommend doing the PCIII. Or get the Thundermax and not worry about dyno ever. If you read the important warning on the instructions of the troublemakers, they do not recommend using the harley download for the remap. This will void the warranty on the pipes, due to blued piped. Looking at my exhaust ports and seeing white on the valve stem and housing threw up a flag. This was before the hookers. Everything was stock on my bike except SE slipons. Just a little FYI. PCIII should be here friday

Last edited by axe_1; 03-18-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:13 AM
SD Night Train
Cruiser

Axe....do you have the O2 bungs plugged? By your post it sounds like you are running the pipes with O2 sensors and stage 1 air cleaner

Quick Reply: Upgrading exhaust