Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorter Shield on Fatboy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:41 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 186 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Shorter Shield on Fatboy?

Has anyone taken a windshield and shortened it quite a bit. Any pics? Suggestions? I may be able to buy a shield cheap and am thinking about cutting it down a little more than the height on this Roadking. Shorten it so it looks less fugly yet blocks some wind and bugs.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...ngClassica.jpg

Old 03-16-2009, 01:33 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Kuma

I had a HD Low Profile (17") on my bike, a CEE Baily 15" smoked on the bike and i tried cutting down a HD Full Sized that I got off EBay I cut it down to 14 high and narrowed it from the stock 23" to about 19. The problem I found every time you go below chin level is the wind buffeting beats the heck out of you, it easier to ride with out the shield.

I hear the windvest work well , I think its becaus of the lip at the top so they can get away with a lower shield height. Try the Windvest or a MS Sport shield. I also have the larger MS Sport Shield

Attached Thumbnails Shorter Shield on Fatboy?-mssportshield.jpg  
Old 03-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't help you with pictures, but if you want to see what a shorter windshield looks like on the Fatty, head over to a local indy that handles Memphis Shades (http://www.memphisshades.com/). They have a template that they can put over the headlight that can give you an idea of how different height windshields might look.
The correct height windshield (according to many) should be right at nose level. What sucks is when you figure in the price of the windshield and mounting hardware for a Memphis Shades, they add up to what you'd end up paying for a HD windshield. They get deep into your wallet either way you go.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:23 PM
url8
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XARAN
Kuma

I had a HD Low Profile (17") on my bike, a CEE Baily 15" smoked on the bike and i tried cutting down a HD Full Sized that I got off EBay I cut it down to 14 high and narrowed it from the stock 23" to about 19. The problem I found every time you go below chin level is the wind buffeting beats the heck out of you, it easier to ride with out the shield.

I hear the windvest work well , I think its becaus of the lip at the top so they can get away with a lower shield height. Try the Windvest or a MS Sport shield. I also have the larger MS Sport Shield
Kuma I too have the CEEBAILEY's shield like Xaran and I went with the 4" shorter shield that hits me at the chin and its great!! A bit of buffeting but nothing like some of the folks claim from different shields. Now I don't know if this is because their shields are thicker, stronger meaning they get less flex or what but its much better for me than the "Harley Nostalgic" shield that I had originally bought.
Hope this helps...seems that every rider has different opinions on wind buffeting etc but as it should be. There are so many variables to consider..Rider height, seat height etc.
Good luck...

http://www.ceebaileys.com/harley/flstn05up_ws.html

Last edited by url8; 03-16-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Fairly easy job, just have to take your time. Here is a link for instructions, and there are several posts on this forum.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tec...eld/index.html