Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes and the Vertically Challenged

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 04:12 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Apes and the Vertically Challenged

Hey guys,
I normally don't ask questions like what bars do you think look the best, but I'm going nuts trying to decide what new bars to go with and thus seeking options. My primary reason for changing out my stock '06 FXST bars is to hide the hideous electrical wires, other wise I like the stock Standard bars. However, I love apes, always have, to me, it's real old school. The problem I have is that I'm only 5'6" on a good day and most apes in the 10" rise only have a pull back of 11.5". I need a pull back of more like 14". My stock bars with the 2" pull back on the risers has a total pull back of about 12.5". Most apes only have a pull back of 11" or less. Most apes are also wider then my stock bars. My stock bars are 31" wide, most apes are 35" wide or greater.

I know ideally, you should align ape handle bars to be in line with the front forks, but is it ok to lean them back a little to get them closer to your chest for vertically challenged riders like me?

Are there any vertically challenged riders on this board running 10 or 12" apes? If yes, how comfortable are they for you? Do you have issues making a sharp turn?

Robert at Wild1 suggested the low profile drag bars since they have a pull back of 14.5", but I'm still not sure if I want to with a drag bar.
Jack

Old 03-11-2009, 04:24 PM
HDChloe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You raise an interesting question for us shorter riders (5'8" with a 30 inch inseam). My Crossbones has 12" apes, but with the spring seat they seem pretty short. In fact, I was thinking about going with 16" apes to raise my hands. Even then, they would only be up to my shoulders. Turning for me is not an issue. I'm digressing.....

Obviously you could simply adjust the bars back a bit to where they would work best for you. We did that with my wife's stock Heritage bars. They are adjusted as far back and as low as possible.

You could go with Carlini apes, but they only have 12" pullback and cost $350. My suggestion is to go with Wild1's and simply adjust as necessary if you are looking to save some money. Of course you could get some custom apes made (I think Road 6 Customs does this?).

I really used to not like apes, but now that I have a set I would never own a bike without them. They did take a little getting used to, but man they look cool.

My point: for enough money you can get anything you want these days.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:05 PM
FGC
Cruiser

5'9 1/2 just put wild 1 14's on my heritage no issues. love them. may actually add 2 in. risers.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:22 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about the other companies that sell bars but carlini does sell blems...if you're interested in them just ask the salesperson if they have any blems in the style and size you want...save a little coin that way

Old 03-11-2009, 06:27 PM
jrjones
Tourer

I am 5'8 with 16 apes. I have no problem with them. I even have them pushed forward with no problems.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:38 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

5'9" with 16's here too. Just get the height you want and then turn them back to suit your preference. And who says if you're not 6' you are short? WTF?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Jacobi
Cruiser

I think avg. height for american is 5'9". So if your just a little under I wouldn't say your short...short would be like 5'5" and below.

Trending Topics

Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just be happy if you don't have a friend that 6'8" like I do. If he calls me little feller just one more time.....

Old 03-11-2009, 09:20 PM
dusty2221
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm about 5'7 and a 1/2(the half makes me feel tall) and I have 14" flyin apes with carlinis 1.5 inch riser. I love it.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:50 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I should have asked this question 3 months ago. Instead I’ve been driving myself crazy drawing diagrams, etc. I even made a mock up rig out of 1/2” x 1” batting strips. I really want to go with 10” (maybe 12.5”) Chubby’s and 1.5” risers. That will put the bars 1.5” above where my bars are now, which should be a perfect height for me with my CC touring seat and I’ll just lean them back so that I’m not stretching out my shoulders.

Quick Reply: Apes and the Vertically Challenged