Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes and the Vertically Challenged

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 06:01 AM
dc4stroke
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Priceamp,
You're not short.....You're vertically challanged.
I wish I had some of the money back I've spent over the years trying to get bars that fit me. I'm running the stock 12s on my Xbones and love them around town. I hate them at higher speeds without the windshield. And I hate the look of the windshield. But with a 100 mile commute. I run the windshield and they are comfortable.

The one bike I've owned that I loved ergonomicly stock was a little Honda GB500. Who would guess?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:05 AM
softail04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5'8'' tall here have 16 inch apes that follow the fork angle
can't see riding with anything else go to some bike shops and just take the bars out to your bike and wee how they look/feel mine are on one inch risers and are just shoulder level when riding.

sun should be comeing out up there soon for some good riding

born and raised on the coast (coos bay) know you have some nice riding up there enjoy

Attached Thumbnails Apes and the Vertically Challenged-vvccxx.jpg  
Old 03-12-2009, 10:27 AM
AK47
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My buddys 5'8" and we just put a set of 16's on his RK. But you sit quite a bit higher on a touring bike then a softail.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by priceamp
Hey guys,
I normally don't ask questions like what bars do you think look the best, but I'm going nuts trying to decide what new bars to go with and thus seeking options. My primary reason for changing out my stock '06 FXST bars is to hide the hideous electrical wires, other wise I like the stock Standard bars. However, I love apes, always have, to me, it's real old school. The problem I have is that I'm only 5'6" on a good day and most apes in the 10" rise only have a pull back of 11.5". I need a pull back of more like 14". My stock bars with the 2" pull back on the risers has a total pull back of about 12.5". Most apes only have a pull back of 11" or less. Most apes are also wider then my stock bars. My stock bars are 31" wide, most apes are 35" wide or greater.

I know ideally, you should align ape handle bars to be in line with the front forks, but is it ok to lean them back a little to get them closer to your chest for vertically challenged riders like me?

Are there any vertically challenged riders on this board running 10 or 12" apes? If yes, how comfortable are they for you? Do you have issues making a sharp turn?

Robert at Wild1 suggested the low profile drag bars since they have a pull back of 14.5", but I'm still not sure if I want to with a drag bar.
Jack
If you like you stock bars and the primary reason to change is to hide the wires why not just drill the stock bars and internal wire them? Is an easy job and would cost you nothing but your time.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:46 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by softail04
5'8'' tall here have 16 inch apes that follow the fork angle
can't see riding with anything else go to some bike shops and just take the bars out to your bike and wee how they look/feel mine are on one inch risers and are just shoulder level when riding.
Softail04,
Thanks for posting the pic. Your pic truly answers my question about leaning the apes back a little.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:47 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by XARAN
If you like you stock bars and the primary reason to change is to hide the wires why not just drill the stock bars and internal wire them? Is an easy job and would cost you nothing but your time.
Good suggestion and yes, I have thought of drilling my own bars too. Actually I thought about buying the Harley stock chrome version of my bars and drilling them. It would be helpful if I could see some pre-drilled bars. Maybe this weekend I'll go to some shops and take a look at some pre-drilled bars. I do have a drill press and a Dremel tool, so I could probably do a pretty good job, I just need to know approximately where to drill the holes and how big to make the holes. I have read of concerns that drilling your own bars can weaken the bars, but I can't see why drilling your own bars would make them weaker then pre-drilled production bars.