Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about grips

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Beerninja
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about grips

My left side handlebar grip keeps sliding. It is not very loose but after about 30+ miles down the road it has slid maybe about a quarter of an inch. What keeps the grips on? is it just the tight rubber sleeve, or is there something else as well? Is there any kind of adhesive I can get to put on it to keep this from happening?

Thank in advance

Old 03-08-2009, 10:44 PM
JR Ryder
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bicycle shops sell a grip glue, but I have always used hairspray from an aerosol can. I always found Alberto V05 worked best. NOT FROM A PUMP SPRAY...... from an aerosol can! I used to be a hardcore motocross racer, and also raced BMX bikes and did freestyle riding too. Remove the grip. Clean the bars really really well. Wash the grip in soap and warm water. Scrub the interior surface of the grip with a toothbrush removing any existing debris. Let the grip dry overnight, or use a hair-dryer or something to dry it completely. Apply the hairspray liberally to the inside of the grip, and while it is still wet, put it on immediately. Let it dry for a few hours,and then try to rotate it..... Good luck!..... JR

Old 03-09-2009, 09:43 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the tip JR Rider, I'm going to have to do that as the replacement grips are starting to drive me nuts.
Every time I stop it looks like the lines in the left grip are made in a spiral instead of a straight line like the throttle side.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can also use double-backed tape used for installing carpets. the tape is very thin. Just wrap the bar, pour a little mineral spirit on the tape or inside the grip. Then just slide the grip on. The liquid reacts to the tape, and end up being glue. It sets up pretty quick, so once you get the grip on, position it where you want it.

Will never slip or slide...

Old 03-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Aaron01
Cruiser

+1 on the double sided tape. I went to a golf shop and the guy in the repair dept. gave me enough for free to mount my grip. They use the double tape on golf club grips.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:31 PM
78fxs78
Banned

I use spray adhesive in a fiz can, (Duro, or 3M) you can get at a hardware store. Spray in the grip led stand for 5-10 min, pres grip on.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Beerninja
Tourer

Sweet thank you all for the tips, I am going to try the hairspray idea first and hopefully that will fix it, if not I will try the tape. but thank you all for your inputs.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JR's solution is the best....
and when the hair spray is wet you can slide the grip on easily...

Old 03-09-2009, 06:33 PM
jd8181
Road Captain

i also used hair spray on my dirt bike grips when i was younger and i'm going to use it on my new iso grips when i get them. my left grip right now spins all the way around and is easier to turn then my throttle grip.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:32 PM
nowbmw
Cruiser

I like the Hairspray idea, i think the others would make it very difficult to get the grip off later

Brent

Quick Reply: Question about grips