Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil overfill???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 04:45 PM
pearlandhd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil overfill???

Ok, I just changed my oil and filter (1000k service). It was very easy and all seemed well except for two things.

1 Most important, After adding about 28 ounces of Mobil 1 V twin it appears I've over filled the tank? Even thoug it calls for 32 ounces, I added 28 to be safe. Guessed wrong there I guess.

I drained the old oil. I pre wet the filter before installing it. I checked the oil with the dip stick cover fully inserted. Is that correct? I know the trans fill pulg is inserted just until the threads touch. I then rode around the block a few times and then let the engine idle a minute or two on the jiffy stand and then rechecked the oil hot. About 1/4" over full HOT. Hmmmm..........

Thoughts..............??

2 Not really important but I'm curious. The oring on the oil drain plug was broken and very hard when the plug was removed. Is this normal? I planned on changing it anyway. What's a couple bucks when you're doing this yourself. Do they get brittle like this all the time?

Thanks

Old 03-07-2009, 05:01 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Some of the oil stays in the engine on a setup like this. I am not sure of the capacity of your engine and such, but on my bike I always add 2 quarts and run it for a few minutes. Then I check it and add it up to the level it should be. If you are overfull get a turkey baster or something and suck a bit out till it is at the proper level. I usually fill mine to about 3/4 full on the dipstick as when I have filled to to full I got oil coming out of the oil filter meaning it was too full.

For the o ring on the drain plug sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's torn. I took a harley one to Home depot and went to the plumbing dept. I got a a package of them for $2. Same for the transmission o ring.

Run it for a bit and see if it is still overfull as the oil has to circulate through the engine and back into the oil tank.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:03 PM
pearlandhd
Cruiser

Crap, I totally misstated the oil I added. I had a brain fart.

I added 3 quarts and 12 ounces at first. Not 28 ounces as stated above. Sorry

Old 03-07-2009, 05:06 PM
pearlandhd
Cruiser

I had thought of the turkey baster idea. I'm gald to know it works. I guess I need to star t with an amount that's much more conservative next time.

If I suck it out when the engine is cold, should I do so until it hit's the lower "cold arrow" or just someting close?

Old 03-07-2009, 05:07 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Now that makes sense. I add 2 quarts to start and go from there. The amount stated for the engine is for a completely dry engine. There is usually about 1/2 quart that stays in the crank case when you drfian the oil tank. Turkey baster or some sort of large syringe should do the trick. The best way to learn is by doing something if you know what I mean. I ALMOST FORGOT. IF YOU LEAVE IT OVERFILLED THE EXCESS WILL COME OUT OF YOUR AIR CLEANER SO IT'S BEST TO SIPHON SOME OUT.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:08 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

First I thought you were talking about primary or trans fluid.
2.7 quarts is all you need, you put too much oil.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:19 PM
pearlandhd
Cruiser

Cool, I stuck it out first thing tomorrow morning. Before starting.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:36 PM
nighttrain72970
Tourer

I did the same thing when I changed my oil in my NT the first time. One thing I do that might help is warm up you bike first(which you probably already do) but take your dipstick out of the tank when you drain the oil and it seems to get more oil out of the bike. Even doing this though I never added more than 3 quarts back in. Some
oil stays in the bottom of the motor.