Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

green scuffy, dawn dish wash on my solid fatty rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:27 PM
frozensoul
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default green scuffy, dawn dish wash on my solid fatty rims

seen a fellow pull up at a walmart on a fatty so i asked him how he gets his rims looking so good. he says when he got his bike the rims were in really bad shape, pitted an dull. i tell him my front rims not to bad but the back looks fairly crappy. so by his suggsestion i get a pack of green scuffys, some dawn and go out and do a test spot about 10 inches of the lip and rough part of the center of the rim and im telling you folks i think they are gona look real good when im done. really pleased with the results.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:29 PM
kkinderen
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll add that info to my notes. I have heard that scotch brites work well but this is the first time I heard about the dish soap. Thanks.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 PM
refuzeandrezizt
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frozensoul
seen a fellow pull up at a walmart on a fatty so i asked him how he gets his rims looking so good. he says when he got his bike the rims were in really bad shape, pitted an dull. i tell him my front rims not to bad but the back looks fairly crappy. so by his suggsestion i get a pack of green scuffys, some dawn and go out and do a test spot about 10 inches of the lip and rough part of the center of the rim and im telling you folks i think they are gona look real good when im done. really pleased with the results.
Hey there, could you do some before and after shots? I would of thought it would scratch the wheels.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:35 PM
frozensoul
Road Master

forgot to mention i had a pan of water also, soaking the scuffy and putting some dawn on on it. when the scuffy started loosing all the water i just repeated the step again. i didnt bear down real hard, just a nice light steady pressure.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:36 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

I tried one of those powerballs on my back rim. It works OK but I think nev-r-dull might work better and is much cheaper. I'd like to see the results of the green scruff pads, post pics.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:43 PM
frozensoul
Road Master

weather where im at supposed to warm in a day or to, i try to get some photo before i get started again. should be able to work on them outside by the weekend here if it warms like they say. i think you could scratch them if you were really bearing down but im just using a light pressure and trying to take the longest strokes i can with out stoping before i have to spin the wheel.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:33 PM
thunder_n_steel
Road Captain

A bunch of us will be waiting for those before and after pics. Post 'em as soon as you can.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:00 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i just hit the car wash and high preasure clean them

Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tk353
i just hit the car wash and high preasure clean them
I would rethink that one if I were you. Yes it will clean them up. But repeated use of a high pressure hose will eventually force water past the seals, into the bearings and screw things up.
It was even worse with older bikes that didn't have sealed bearings, but new ones can still get screwed up. It just takes a little longer.

One thing you guys who want to try the scuffy trick should be aware of. New pads will work quicker and easier, but they will also scratch things up a lot easier than older well used ones will.
I have done it too on my rear wheel, but I always steal the pad from the sink in the kitchen (be sure to leave a new one or the wife will scream bloody murder), and instead of dish washing solution I use Simple Green. Its even cheaper, especially if you get it in the gallon size at a place like Sam's. It takes off the grease, road crap, and brake dust without much effort and easily rinses completely off.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:29 AM
coop57
Tourer

Originally Posted by frozensoul
I use noxin #7 metal polish and burnish with brown kraft paper (grocery bag)
by hand. I learned this trick years ago when working in a machine shop and have yet to find a better method for busting a deep shine on aluminum, although the Mothers foam ***** do come close.

Quick Reply: green scuffy, dawn dish wash on my solid fatty rims