Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Front Drop-in Lowering Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Jeffs FRC
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by refuzeandrezizt
I don't have a vise or a garage, I work on it on the back porch under the carport . So you are saying that I should go ahead and take the nut loose on the lowers first. Will they come off after that, or after I get the tops taken apart? Sorry for the questions, I had my plan made out for doing the drop-in kit, which would of been easier.
This way you have no excuse not to PC the lowers!

Go ahead and get the caliper, fender, and wheel off. Then Take off the 1-3/8" cap screw on top of the fork tubes above the trees. Next remove the drain screws on the bottom of the sliders and drain out the fluid. Now you can remove the 6mm allens on the bottom of the sliders and remove them by pulling down with a slide hammer action. Now you can loosen the pinch bolts and remove the fork tubes. The video you have pretty much will take it from there. Good luck and make sure to post some after pics!

Old 03-05-2009, 05:49 PM
refuzeandrezizt
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffs FRC
This way you have no excuse not to PC the lowers!

Go ahead and get the caliper, fender, and wheel off. Then Take off the 1-3/8" cap screw on top of the fork tubes above the trees. Next remove the drain screws on the bottom of the sliders and drain out the fluid. Now you can remove the 6mm allens on the bottom of the sliders and remove them by pulling down with a slide hammer action. Now you can loosen the pinch bolts and remove the fork tubes. The video you have pretty much will take it from there. Good luck and make sure to post some after pics!
Thanks for the info!! I know, I think I may take the lowers and my old headlight to work Monday and PC them. We have a flat and gloss, so I need to make up my mind. I am thinking gloss would look better. What do I need to do to the lowers before coating them? Do I have to strip them down completely by blasting or sanding? Everything we PC at work is already bare metal, I know we have recoated from time to time though.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:40 PM
chidiver
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine done last night. Wound up going in from the top down and hadda get an extra pair of hands to get it back together. Wound up taking the passing lamps off for the install and a couple of other items that may not have had to come off. It was my first time taking the front end apart so I went slow with it. Took me about 3.5 hours, but that includes 2 round trips of about 30 minutes each to pick up and drive home my extra set of hands.

I love the way it handles, even with the pvc spacer set at 3.0" as per the destructions for my 08 Fat Boy. Could chop another .5" but I think I'm gonna leave well enough alone.

The front end dive is when I brake is gone and it seems to handle better and if anything ride better.

Today was a windy day with 35 mph winds so I didnt get out to ride as much as I would have liked. Hadda try it out though. The front end is about an inch to 1.5" lower. Should have measured it beforehand but I didn't think of it. I'm happy with the results overall.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:42 PM
phrogflyer
Road Master

Originally Posted by chidiver
I got mine done last night. Wound up going in from the top down and hadda get an extra pair of hands to get it back together. Wound up taking the passing lamps off for the install and a couple of other items that may not have had to come off. It was my first time taking the front end apart so I went slow with it. Took me about 3.5 hours, but that includes 2 round trips of about 30 minutes each to pick up and drive home my extra set of hands.

I love the way it handles, even with the pvc spacer set at 3.0" as per the destructions for my 08 Fat Boy. Could chop another .5" but I think I'm gonna leave well enough alone.

The front end dive is when I brake is gone and it seems to handle better and if anything ride better.

Today was a windy day with 35 mph winds so I didnt get out to ride as much as I would have liked. Hadda try it out though. The front end is about an inch to 1.5" lower. Should have measured it beforehand but I didn't think of it. I'm happy with the results overall.
do you have pics? do you think cutting the pvc a half inch would be ok? i'll be installing this on a deluxe. same kit.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:52 PM
chidiver
Cruiser

Oops!

Last edited by chidiver; 03-05-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: double post
Old 03-05-2009, 10:05 PM
chidiver
Cruiser

Originally Posted by phrogflyer
do you have pics? do you think cutting the pvc a half inch would be ok? i'll be installing this on a deluxe. same kit.
The destructions say one could cut the pvc .5" from the listed setting. If I were to do it again I would do it, and very well may next winter.

I don't have any pics yet as the bike got pretty dirty working on it and only gave the bike a quick wash. Wanted to enjoy the 62* we had here near Chicago today.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:05 AM
phrogflyer
Road Master

Originally Posted by chidiver
The destructions say one could cut the pvc .5" from the listed setting. If I were to do it again I would do it, and very well may next winter.

I don't have any pics yet as the bike got pretty dirty working on it and only gave the bike a quick wash. Wanted to enjoy the 62* we had here near Chicago today.
sounds good to me. thanks for the reply!

Old 03-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Jeffs FRC
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by refuzeandrezizt
Thanks for the info!! I know, I think I may take the lowers and my old headlight to work Monday and PC them. We have a flat and gloss, so I need to make up my mind. I am thinking gloss would look better. What do I need to do to the lowers before coating them? Do I have to strip them down completely by blasting or sanding? Everything we PC at work is already bare metal, I know we have recoated from time to time though.
I had a buddy(JRK5892) PC my stuff. Im pretty sure he stripped my lowers, but Im not sure exactly how. I went with a semi-gloss black. Not wet looking and not totally dull either. I thought it would go good with my denim paint. The gloss would probably look good on yours...

Old 03-06-2009, 09:17 PM
refuzeandrezizt
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jeffs FRC
I had a buddy(JRK5892) PC my stuff. Im pretty sure he stripped my lowers, but Im not sure exactly how. I went with a semi-gloss black. Not wet looking and not totally dull either. I thought it would go good with my denim paint. The gloss would probably look good on yours...
I think I will go with gloss at some point, and I will more than likely be painting them. My uncle builds street rods and he said that he would paint my old headlight and lowers for me, but it will be a little bit. I started the front end lowering this afternoon after work. I got everything ready, I just need to put in some fork oil, and cut my spacers. I ran out of light though. I will have this done tomorrow, and will post some pics I hope. I was surprised at how easy this was to do. I had a plan to measure the before and after, but I jumped in and forgot. Can you buy fork oil at an Auto Zone or similar gettin' place? Not sure what to get here. I think I will probably step up to 15 weight though. Any suggestions on the oil would be great. My local HD dealership is about 45 minutes away. I do have a Yamaha shop nearby though.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:15 PM
refuzeandrezizt
Road Warrior
Default New Pics

Here are some new pics with the 2" front end drop, new headlight, new pegs, and the tool bag moved from the forks to the rear. The drop kit was a breeze, and on a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate this maybe a 4. I went with the LA Choppers kit, which lets you choose either a one or two inch drop. The kit was about $95 from Dennis Kirk. It includes the damper spring and main spring, with PVC spacers and four washers. I couldn't locate any fork oil, so I went with Royal Purple Max ATF synthetic fluid. I put 12 ounces in each tube. Ride is great so far, even though the wind was around 30 mph today here. I will get the lowers painted as soon as my uncle can get around to it. I ordered a different taillight, but I think they sent me the wrong one. I did muck up one of the top fork nuts, so I will need to find some different ones. Anyone have any suggestions on where to locate those. I have searched with no luck. I would like to get some spikes, if they make them. I may just sand them down, and paint them black also. Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Later

Attached Thumbnails Progressive Front Drop-in Lowering Kit?-new-pic-1.jpg   Progressive Front Drop-in Lowering Kit?-new-pic-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Progressive Front Drop-in Lowering Kit?