Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Front Drop-in Lowering Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:08 PM
phrogflyer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a set on order as well. found mine on e-bay. 113.99 shipped. i bought this thinking it was a drop in kit as well. after looking at the bike i realized it can't be done as easily as the video shows. not for softails anyway.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:17 PM
refuzeandrezizt
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phrogflyer
i have a set on order as well. found mine on e-bay. 113.99 shipped. i bought this thinking it was a drop in kit as well. after looking at the bike i realized it can't be done as easily as the video shows. not for softails anyway.
Yeah, they make it look so easy on the video for those drop in kits. I was excited as hell, until I found out it wouldn't be that easy for us Train owners. Oh well, just a chance to drink more beer

Old 03-01-2009, 09:35 PM
chidiver
Cruiser

It's starting to look like this may well be a job for a snowy/rainy day which will be back soon enough here near Chicago. The weather is supposed to be in the 50* area Wednesday through Saturday, so I don't want to get the bike apart and run into problems. Just opened up the service manual and got a little intimidated by it...Suppose I'll know more when the parts come. If the brake caliper needs to come off I may put some Lyndall pads on it and the rear while it's apart.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I will be taking my time as here it is snowing again, they are calling for 8-12 so it will be a few weeks till the roads are clean again. Good luck and post some pics when you are done.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:59 PM
refuzeandrezizt
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
I will be taking my time as here it is snowing again, they are calling for 8-12 so it will be a few weeks till the roads are clean again. Good luck and post some pics when you are done.
Man, sounds like you will need a snowmobile . Yeah, I too will be in no hurry, since it will still be awhile before I can ride here also. Everyone who is doing this drop, please post some before and after shots. Thanks!!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 AM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine is dropped 1.25" in the front (progressive kit), and 1.5" in the rear. It took about 2 hrs to get the front done.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:25 AM
kylant
Road Captain

i think progressive has "new" drop in kits. these are supposed to make install much easier and quicker

Old 03-02-2009, 11:55 AM
DECON BLUE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Hey All, I just did mine last week on my 2008 TRAIN. You do not have to take the forks apart!! Take the weight off the front wheel, remove the caps on top of tubes, remove chrome cap in middle of tree, remove large nut, remove top tree (lift straight up), remove second plug on each fork leg and wa la there are your old springs. install new spring, the compensater spring,washer, PVC pipe, washer. Then reinstall tree, nut, caps, torque to specs. your done!!! I cut the PVC to the minimum the instructions said and i got 2 1/4 inch drop on my front end. Handles much better. Not a big job, took me about 55 minutes and 2 beers. No big deal at all.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:54 PM
chidiver
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DECON BLUE
Hey All, I just did mine last week on my 2008 TRAIN. You do not have to take the forks apart!! Take the weight off the front wheel, remove the caps on top of tubes, remove chrome cap in middle of tree, remove large nut, remove top tree (lift straight up), remove second plug on each fork leg and wa la there are your old springs. install new spring, the compensater spring,washer, PVC pipe, washer. Then reinstall tree, nut, caps, torque to specs. your done!!! I cut the PVC to the minimum the instructions said and i got 2 1/4 inch drop on my front end. Handles much better. Not a big job, took me about 55 minutes and 2 beers. No big deal at all.
That's what I have been waiting to hear. Hopefully mine will go as smoothly. Thanx.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:08 PM
refuzeandrezizt
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DECON BLUE
I would think it would be easier to just undo the pinch bolts on the trees and slide the forks down a bit instead of taking the triples apart. Oh well, more than one way to skin a cat huh . I was going to undo the brake caliper and just slide both forks down together with the wheel and all still attached. May not work, but I was going to try it.

Quick Reply: Progressive Front Drop-in Lowering Kit?