Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower RPM with EFI motor ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009 | 10:24 PM
LowBoy08
|
Advanced
Question Lower RPM with EFI motor ?

I know, I know.... everybody says the familiar "Potato-Potato" rumble is thing of the past with modern EFI bikes. Nowdays bikes should'n run under 1000 RPM or so, mainly to avoid low oil pressure & cause the EFI control needs constant & regular voltage, bla bal bla...
I'm a newbie to EFI, while agreeing with to the low oil pressure / voltage argument, could it be possible to lower RPM down to 850/900 by programming new EFI controler & replacing original oil pump & alternator with high output aftermarket components ?

I'm ready to spend quite a few $$$ (don't tell the wife...) to get that old familiar rumble but since I know close to nothing about EFI, I'l wait & carefully read all of your comments before I take any decisions.

Thank's for the feedbacks.......... Martin. (08 Softail)

Attached Thumbnails Lower RPM with EFI motor ?-fxstc-garage.jpg   Lower RPM with EFI motor ?-fxstc-web.jpg  
Old 02-28-2009 | 10:43 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

The cam I just installed makes EFI sound much better A higher lift cam and more compression would probably add even a lumpier sound...

Old 02-28-2009 | 10:48 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior

+1...cam it to get that loping sound back!

Old 02-28-2009 | 11:00 PM
crazybastid83
Banned

You cant get around it, if you want a good oil supply. If you want a lope, like the others say, get a cam

Last edited by crazybastid83; 02-28-2009 at 11:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-28-2009 | 11:00 PM
monster fxstc
Banned

Like the sound myself, but not willin to risk the engine to get it...not unless you want to end up doing a top end rebuild at the end of the summer. I also do a lot of traffic riding during the summer and the oil also helps cool the engine, if you're not pushin the oil through then it's not just wearin out parts.

Yes, it is possible to lower your idle RPM's with a SERT or TTS, but below 950 RPM, you lose the ability to produce enough pressure to lube the top end.

Old 02-28-2009 | 11:03 PM
danike
Advanced

I believe with most aftermarket EFI controllers you can set the idle down. I would'nt worry about the voltage unless you have a lot of lights or other electronics. I don't know how low the oil pressure will go with a lower idle speed. I want to set my idle down also for the sound, I don't do a lot of idleing but it would sound more distictive when you stop for a light.

Old 03-01-2009 | 12:09 AM
LowBoy08
|
Advanced
Question Keep on with the feedbacks...........

Thank's for all the feedbacks, reading everything & learning alot.....

I'm no longer concern about constant & regular voltage, battery's in good shape & has nothing more to feed than OEM FXSTC headlight & ignition.

A question about CAM job : Understand it could do the trick, but 2 questions comes to mind.

- The CAM job got the RPM down to 900, 850, or even lower ?

- What about the oil pressure, if I bring the RPM down by changing cams rather then by EFI program, I will still have to deal with low oil pressure issue, no ?

Martin, newbie to EFI learning from your comments........

Attached Thumbnails Lower RPM with EFI motor ?-fxstc-garage.jpg   Lower RPM with EFI motor ?-fxstc-web.jpg  
Old 03-01-2009 | 05:05 AM
fxcwc
4th Gear
Old 03-01-2009 | 09:49 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by LowBoy08
Thank's for all the feedbacks, reading everything & learning alot.....

I'm no longer concern about constant & regular voltage, battery's in good shape & has nothing more to feed than OEM FXSTC headlight & ignition.

A question about CAM job : Understand it could do the trick, but 2 questions comes to mind.

- The CAM job got the RPM down to 900, 850, or even lower ?

- What about the oil pressure, if I bring the RPM down by changing cams rather then by EFI program, I will still have to deal with low oil pressure issue, no ?

Martin, newbie to EFI learning from your comments........
The cams do not lower the idle, they just roughen it up a bit - like a cam usually does. It is obvious if you have louder pipes like BSS or ....

Another solution could be the Baisley spring or Zippers shim. The both increase oil pressure and could "perhaps" allow you to lower the idle. But, some people have removed these because oil pressure gets too high when in the normal riding rpm range or when bike is cold at initial start up. imo, it sounds nice with a cam and pipes.

Last edited by KumaRide; 03-01-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-01-2009 | 09:50 AM
danike
Advanced

Changing cams is not going to lower the idle rpm, it will make it sound different possibly like the rpm was lowered.

Quick Reply: Lower RPM with EFI motor ?