Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turn signal problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 11:37 AM
ABARB
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal problem?

i just put a new turn signal bar underneath my tail light. before this modification everything was in working order. i removed the old rear signals and mounted the new signal bar and (pre wired from harley) inserted the wires to the correct plug in. when i turn the key on the rear lights do not light up, when i push the right signal the front and rear work great, the left signal does not work at all, front or rear, but when i pull the break lever both rear signals light up? can anyone help.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:49 AM
the money pit
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldnt trust wire diagrams to much best thing to do is track the wires in the new light bar and make sure they work before installing them ... then use a test light and check the plug on the bike to make sure you are getting signal there and from there plug the wires in where you know they go . I have noticed that some wiring diagrams are not all that reliable

Old 02-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Whoad00d
Tourer

yeah not all scheeets are correct being in the military and being a mechanic i can't always rely on their diagrams even more so with new equipment, i have spent many hours and even days some times tracing and making my own scheeets (Schematics) i would run each wire myself just to make sure bc its possible if you have a wire crossed some where it can "short" the circuit and not neccisairly cause any damage but make the entire circuit work incorrectly.

Russ

Old 02-28-2009, 12:03 PM
JBourquin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the internal wiring is probably crossed in the lightbar. Was this bar specificaly designed for your year/make/model or is it generic? Some wiring (color-codes/plug setups) is diff from year to year and between models. your best bet is to take the lightbar completely out of the circuit and check the continuity with a volt/ohm meter. make sure the "In" pins match the "Out" pins.

Last edited by JBourquin; 02-28-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:22 PM
bikermike2
Tourer

I just had a similar problem i fixed. wires crossed.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:02 PM
ABARB
Stage III

thanks, one more problem when i temporarly reconnected the old signals the same problem still exists, the right one works and the left doesnt?

Old 02-28-2009, 10:08 PM
bikermike2
Tourer

Originally Posted by ABARB
thanks, one more problem when i temporarly reconnected the old signals the same problem still exists, the right one works and the left doesnt?
check your fuses . keep trying.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:49 PM
JBourquin
Road Master

Playing with the wires and yanking them around you may have jarred a ground wire loose. Or for that matter did you drop the light at all? the filament may be broken. Check continuity accross the bulb before you go digging into your wiring. If the bulb and the fuses are good, you've got a bad wire or connection somewhere.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master

You might check the ground wire. On dc voltage a bad or loose ground wire can do all kinds of crazy things.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:07 PM
JBourquin
Road Master

It sure can, I've seen a bad ground on a truck make the dash lights come on when someone pushes the brake. That one took a little bit to find

Quick Reply: turn signal problem?