Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New V&H Big Shots Staggered

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Pardner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Thanks Pardner!

Glad to help. The quiet baffles was a freebie Dyno and I don't know if I trust it too much. Bike ran fine, but, 5 HP increase with the standard baffles, seems a bit much don't you think? They used SAE value of 3 and I think they only did 2 pulls on it (a guess based on the map number ... 002). From what I've read, thats not enough, need to let it warm up a bit more. The standard baffle Dyno used SAE 5 and I think they did 4 pulls. For the amount of money I paid for it ... they should have done 10.

When I was ordering the quiet baffles, I called V/H and they said that the standard baffles were the performance setup, not the quiet. The "feel" with the quiet seemed to have a bit more L/E torque then the standard. They also quoted some DB levels, and maybe folks can't hear it (well, I can) but the quiet were about 3 or 4 DB's quieter then standard (don't hold me to those numbers, going from memory 4 months ago).

BTW, see that you put in a new cam. Was thinking of doing that too, just a bolt in. Guess the biggest thing I'm looking for is a little more lope at idle (well, some more L/E torque would be nice too ;-) ). I understand I may get that, and it may increase the DB level a little too. Wanna share your experience?

Last edited by Pardner; 03-16-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:39 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Pardner
Glad to help. The quiet baffles was a freebie Dyno and I don't know if I trust it too much. Bike ran fine, but, 5 HP increase with the standard baffles, seems a bit much don't you think? They used SAE value of 3 and I think they only did 2 pulls on it (a guess based on the map number ... 002). From what I've read, thats not enough, need to let it warm up a bit more. The standard baffle Dyno used SAE 5 and I think they did 4 pulls. For the amount of money I paid for it ... they should have done 10.

When I was ordering the quiet baffles, I called V/H and they said that the standard baffles were the performance setup, not the quiet. The "feel" with the quiet seemed to have a bit more L/E torque then the standard. They also quoted some DB levels, and maybe folks can't hear it (well, I can) but the quiet were about 3 or 4 DB's quieter then standard (don't hold me to those numbers, going from memory 4 months ago).

BTW, see that you put in a new cam. Was thinking of doing that too, just a bolt in. Guess the biggest thing I'm looking for is a little more lope at idle (well, some more L/E torque would be nice too ;-) ). I understand I may get that, and it may increase the DB level a little too. Wanna share your experience?
The 21's definitely added a nice lope to the idle. And with the q baffles, it sounds like a different bike! Performance wise, these bolt in 21's in a 88" with the stage 1 download, no fuel management, made a very nice SOP improvement in both low and mid range tq. They also pull much better than the stock above that. Time and money well spent as I did the install myself. Some say the 26's would be better. Perhaps, I really do like these given they provide the tq where I typically ride - low to mid, and still pull better than stock above that. Looking forward, after more miles are put on the upper end it will get rebuilt to a 96". I have no intentions of swapping these cams out at that time. I have spoken with others that use the 21's in 95's and they really like them. This article says the same thing.

http://www.americanrider.com/output.cfm?id=1054045

Good luck in your cam choice. And apologies to the OP for derailing this thread...