Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New V&H Big Shots Staggered

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 04:07 PM
packfanmike
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the BSS last week. I had the SE slip ons but wanted something a little louder. The BSS along with an SE Stage 1 from FuelMoto and a Fuelpack did the trick. Now it's a LOT louder.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:11 PM
gregski
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pensacolaharley
Any of you Fatboy owners install these yourselfs?
I installed mine. Once I got the original pipes off, the install was very easy. All you really need is a 1/2 inch socket w/extension and a torque wrench. It was harder to remove the stock pipes than install the BSS.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:14 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks great, I bet they sound good. Love the chrome wheels!

Old 02-28-2009, 07:48 PM
OldSkoolBones
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default switching baffles on BSS

I've finally gotten around to changing my baffles, but I'm having a problem... I cannot get one of the screws out that holds the baffle in place. It's super tight, and dirty. I've been trying to get it off, and have almost stripped the ellen bolt. I've sprayed a small amount of wd-40, but it's not seeming to do it. I've also run the bike to heat up the pipes, and it still won't come loose.

Does anyone have any tips for me??

Old 02-28-2009, 07:53 PM
OldSkoolBones
Tourer
Default one more thing..

One more thing... I've switched one of the baffles, but the other is stuck. If I run the bike like this, is it going to have any negative affects on anything? (just in case it takes me some time to get this figured out...)

Old 02-28-2009, 07:54 PM
JR Ryder
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldSkoolBones
I've finally gotten around to changing my baffles, but I'm having a problem... I cannot get one of the screws out that holds the baffle in place. It's super tight, and dirty. I've been trying to get it off, and have almost stripped the ellen bolt. I've sprayed a small amount of wd-40, but it's not seeming to do it. I've also run the bike to heat up the pipes, and it still won't come loose.

Does anyone have any tips for me??
Not really a tip, but some peace of mind...... if you DO strip it, you can get it out with an "easy-out" tool. Most auto supply place have them. You may have to remove the pipes, because, as I recall, the bolt you mention is facing the bike isn't it? I'm curious what others might suggest to you. The "heat" was a good idea. Not sure what else to say. WD40 is usually great.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote=Called2Duty;4626829]
Originally Posted by Chazmanian
I'm loving my new BSS with my recent motor work. I had a set of standard big shots and my bike was literally choking in its own filth and made a whopping 53HP and 89TQ after having my motor done.

Switched em' out to a set of Big Shots staggered and the bike could breathe and run as intended.

Chazamanian- I do like the V&H staggards but those #'s of your were way low bro, I got decent numbers with my Big shot longs 79 hp and 95 tq. i had a 204 cam 4 degree advance with race tuner and a great guy do my dyno so go figure but, there are a lot of guys here just north of Indy running those staggards but i went with the longs just for something different

The standard big shots with 1 3/4" headpipes that run all the way back without any step up wouldnt work with my build. Here you can see pre-tuned before getting my heads done the bike made 53Hp and 80TQ. Tuned out at 63HP and 93TQ after getting the heads done. Thats with the baffles in the big shot standard non-stepped no power chamber pipes.

Well....They would work but without baffles.

Heres the dyno graph showing the Big shots standards with and without baffles Vs' the Big shots staggereds.
Red= Big Shots standards no baffles.
Green= Big shots standards with baffles
Blue=Big Shots staggerds

My tuner tried to tune the bike with the big shots and baffles. It didnt work out. Ended up having to run the staggereds and tuned out at 93/104.

The staggerds have a step up in the pipe from 1 3/4" to 2 1/8" along with the power chamber. It could be a combination of issues with my build and the standard big shots. Ironically though when i bought the bike from a fellow memeber there were no baffles in or with the bike. When I asked him where they were he said "I threw them away".

Heres the final tune with Big Shots staggered and the stock baffles compared to day one with the standard shots and no head work. As you can see the bike looks like its wet sumping and drowning in oil. Not so. Its those derned pipes!

Go figger eh?

Last edited by Chazmanian; 02-28-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:55 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

RE: V&H BSS- I had these on my fatty, and i guess my neighbors just were not as fond of them as I was LOL. I mean there was a guy a block over that swore at the top of his capacity at 8 PM last Summer for me to shut the bike off, and I was just puttin the bike away and not hammering it. The guy did not have the pills to come over and talk to me about it .... But do enjoy your pipes! Ride Safe.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:45 AM
msankey
Cruiser

Thanks for all the compliments on the pipes. I have been riding with them all week and really like the sound. The low gurgle goes well with the rock I usually have blasting on my earphones. I might hold off on the quiet baffles. I haven't received any complaints yet. I usually ride during the day so, I don't think I am bothering anyone. I do need to study the cobra system. The way the dealership set it is killing my MPG. I think I can do better.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Looking mighty fine.

Quick Reply: New V&H Big Shots Staggered