Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inverted front end

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Inverted front end

I posted this on the tech forum with no response so far.. Hopefully there is someone out there that can shed some light.. I have 08 Rocker, saw a rocker with the Ultima 58mm inverted front end, so I said cool i will do that.. Having said that, is this a straight swap out or is there hidden issues that i have to be aware of? Will my stock rotor/caliper fit, will i have problems with the 5degree rake it comes with??? I've emailed people who have done this but no response.. Thanks in advance...

Old 02-20-2009, 03:48 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,661 Likes on 946 Posts

Your best bet might be to call Ultima. They probably have a tech rep that can answer your questions.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member

right.. Thanks

Old 02-20-2009, 07:35 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 309 Posts

Here's some info for you:

Ultima® 58mm Inverted Front End Assembly

These Inverted forks were designed to use 84/99 FXST style Wheels
Assemblies with a Single Disc. Optional Dual Disc hardware is sold separately
• Triple trees are machined for, but do not include, both internal fork stop kit #5-242 or 5-251 or External fork stops #27-189 found in the Midwest Motorcycle Supply catalog (Section 3).
• Std Length is OEM FXST length

First this front end is made for the older style frame with a 7 inch neck. If yours is bigger it won't work.
Second the forks are designed to work with a 3/4 inch front axle, yours is I believe 25mm. So your going to need either a new front wheel or you'll have to see if you can get new bearings for your wheel.
Third since this is made for the older style frames your going to have to go internal or figure out a way to make fork stops for it.
Fourth, since it is made to accept 84/99 FXST parts means you'll have to change the brakes and rotor also. I believe these use an 11.5" rotor, I'm not sure what size is on an 08 Rocker.

Make sure if you try this that you keep your trail in specs. I believe the Rocker has a substantial factory rake.

I am using this front end on my 87 FXR with a 32 degree factory rake and will be upgrading everything to match the 84/99 FXST. Good luck with your project and let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:37 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member

A couple of other things I just thought of:

I was told that if your going to use an inverted front end you should keep the rake on the neck at no more than 32 degrees. The way he explained it was that since the seals on the forks are below the height of the tire it puts more of a load on the top side fork seals and can cause it to leak. I don't know if this is true but since I'm at 32 I'm going to leave it alone. He also said that inverted front ends work better the more vertical they are mounted.

Also this front end uses a 1 inch neck bolt(?) and bearings.
Again good luck.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

jeees !!!! after reading all that stuff i'm more confused then i was before. someone here has a rocker with an inverted front end. I would think it's possible to do it with the rocker.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:00 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member

If you use the inverted front end from Harley that's made for them, I'm sure it would work. He asked specifically about the Ultima 58 mm front end. Harley wants about 1300 bucks for their front end, you can pick up the Ultima front end for between 485.00 and 650.00 depending on where you shop and what rake and fork tube length you want.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:05 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah graysfxcw gat a inverted front end
but that other one sounds good too
price is better too
good luck

Old 02-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MCSarge
If you use the inverted front end from Harley that's made for them, I'm sure it would work. He asked specifically about the Ultima 58 mm front end. Harley wants about 1300 bucks for their front end, you can pick up the Ultima front end for between 485.00 and 650.00 depending on where you shop and what rake and fork tube length you want.

Thanks for all the info, now i just need to chew it and see where i go from here..

Old 03-02-2010, 05:19 PM
masar
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone can give me exact specifications of correct inverted front end for Rocker so i will not make mistake? I plan to purchase new wheels so maybe axle size is not issue - i can order new wheels accordingly.

Quick Reply: Inverted front end