Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Labor to install new rear tire seems high...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:31 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

This is the one I got. Looks like the regular price is now 49.99, but I got it on sale for 39.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34542

They sell a MC tire attachment that I bought but have never used. Dont need it. Harley tires are a peice of cake and even sport bike 180X17 tires are not bad with just the bottom.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:53 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Of the two dealers that I go to, one charges 1.5 hrs of labor, the other 1 hr for a rear tire change. When I heard that, I did it myself.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:48 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

Taking the rear wheel/tire off the bike is no big deal. Get the manual and do it yourself. Not only will you save some coin but you will learn about your bike in the process. Local shops will charge $30-$40 to change the tire and balance for you if you take the wheel in to their shop.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:56 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

When the money comes in I'm getting the Harbor Freight tire changer and mounting it on my patio. Never pay for a tire change again! WooHoo! As it is I would always take the wheels only, but this takes it to the next level...

Old 02-20-2009, 08:08 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

120 bucks is highway robbery.

I bought the HF changer just for the bead breaker. I do the rest on a piece of carpet with a couple of tire spoons.

Somebody is gonna be asking about balancing. I do not balance. I just line the sidewall dot up with the valve stem. My bikes ride smooth and my tires last a good life. I've been riding on tires mounted this way for 20 years with no problems.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:23 PM
crazybastid83
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The going rate is 1 and 1/2 hours. It does cost alot, you can save money by doing it yourself, but the dealer is not ripping you off.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:27 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

80 bucks an hour to do a low tech job sure seems like a lot of $$ to me.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:30 PM
drogers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard my local Honda dealer will change the tire for free if you buy the tire from them.I'll be giving them a call tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong,I'm a mechanical contractor and spent years working on my own stuff since I blew the engine in my 2.5 hp Briggs mini bike when I was 10. However at 52 I'm getting lazy.Just as soon pay someone else to do it and be done with it.I'm all for the dealer making money,just not 120 bucks labor to change a tire.There is no way it should take 1.5 hrs on my bike.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:33 PM
NewHarleyGear
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nowbmw
Pull the wheel yourself, buy tire online, and find an independent bike shop to do it, Kawasaki shop on the end of my road charges 30 bucks to mount and balance my tires.

Brent

+ 1 on avoiding the "Stealership".

Old 02-20-2009, 08:44 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
120 bucks is highway robbery.

I bought the HF changer just for the bead breaker. I do the rest on a piece of carpet with a couple of tire spoons.

Somebody is gonna be asking about balancing. I do not balance. I just line the sidewall dot up with the valve stem. My bikes ride smooth and my tires last a good life. I've been riding on tires mounted this way for 20 years with no problems.
When i started changing my own tires a few years back I was initially concerned about balancing. I talked to some guys at our local speed bike shop and they were all using "dyna beads" for track days and loving it. Other than size and material composition I didn't see a whole lot of gap between what a dyna bead did and what an equal weight of airsoft pellets would do. I use the .2 gram dense pellets. $5 for a good size jug of them at Walmart. The first bike I used them in was my Buell. The bike never rode smoother or felt better. I use 2 oz in a 16" wheel. The pellets only work in tubeless wheels because they are too big for the valve stem. On tube wheels I still have to use dyna beads. Try the beads or pellets and you will be amazed.

Quick Reply: Labor to install new rear tire seems high...