Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

((95)) CID guys what cams r u running??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:31 PM
squale147
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by George C
You are going to find the 203 cam runs out of steam around 3,500 RPM. It's also emissions friendly. The big difference between the 204 and the 203 is that the 204 has a very early exhaust valve close which builds much more static compression. It also has a different LSA for better top end breathing. It's used best on a heavy weight bike application such as a dresser. I you run an FX or a Dyna, there are much better choices. Your 9.8 to 1 compression is too much for the 204, but perfect for others,
Do a little more research on cams and what the numbers mean, then it will all come into focus. You will be able to choose what's right for you. I can tell you this, why go into the cam chest and do all of that work unless you are absolutely sure of what you are buying.
your right george... when i did my build i went with the se 95 stage 2 kit..witch came with the 203s.. i also went with all jims valve componits... but i never really looked at any other cams before my build.. your right though by saying the 203s fall off at about 3,500 .. what i would like is to have the low and mid that i have now with some more on the top.. do you think the 204 would be a good choice for me???

Old 02-19-2009, 12:53 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by squale147
your right george... when i did my build i went with the se 95 stage 2 kit..witch came with the 203s.. i also went with all jims valve componits... but i never really looked at any other cams before my build.. your right though by saying the 203s fall off at about 3,500 .. what i would like is to have the low and mid that i have now with some more on the top.. do you think the 204 would be a good choice for me???
At 9.8 to 1, you may experience some pinging issues due to the raise in static compression the 204 will make.
I know a lot of guys like the Woods TW-6
I would try this site. There are a bunch of performance builders with a lot of experience with your compression ratio who can prescribe the perfect cam for your combination.

http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index....6192&board=3.0

Old 02-19-2009, 01:36 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by squale147
hey guys.. just wondering what cams everyone is using with there 95?? im using these-203s just wondering if there is something a little better... thanks for any info
What exhaust do you have? You can pick up some more power by going to a high performance exhaust.
Are they the V&H, BSS? Look like they are a bit long for the BSS, but it is hard to tell from the angle of your signature picture.
Tom

Old 02-19-2009, 01:44 PM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

I disagree with george c"s commit if your gear drives are set to proper lash then they are more reliable and the noise he speaks of also come from not proper installation. Myself and many people I ride with have gone to gear drive with over 20, 30k on them with no issues no noise and no worn shoes (oh wait the shoes are with chains). Using the its not worth a gear snapping commit I guess you should not ride your bike at all because its not worth it breaking a chain or a shoe.

Originally Posted by George C
I think you are now seeing that gear drive is the least favorable option now. Lots of gears breaking because of crank run out issues, not to mention the noise from straight cut gears. . It's not worth the risking a gear snapping anymore. You won't have that problem with a chain.

There is a lot of good reading here. You should give yourself an education first. Many things affect the powerband such as valve timing, overlap, LSA and many others. Once you learn the basics, and how they can react to different exhaust systems, you'll be able to pick out a certain cam that will fill your own personal needs.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/camdb.htm

Old 02-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Slowpoke84
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Currently running SE-203's. Will be switching over to gear driven cams. Hopefully sooner than later. Still researching my options, but it looks like Woods or Andrews is what I'll be going with.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:18 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cosshog
I disagree with george c"s commit if your gear drives are set to proper lash then they are more reliable and the noise he speaks of also come from not proper installation. Myself and many people I ride with have gone to gear drive with over 20, 30k on them with no issues no noise and no worn shoes (oh wait the shoes are with chains). Using the its not worth a gear snapping commit I guess you should not ride your bike at all because its not worth it breaking a chain or a shoe.

Do a little research on the subject.

Nobody will be using gear drives in the very near future. They do fall prey to run out, where chains do not. Any wear what-so-ever can change the movement. It's not worth the risk anymore because a better system has been developed. The updated 07' version with the new hydralic shoe is earning the reputation as the most reliable and trouble free cam drive system, and is becoming the choice drive for any performance application.

Last edited by George C; 02-19-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:22 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
What exhaust do you have? You can pick up some more power by going to a high performance exhaust.
Are they the V&H, BSS? Look like they are a bit long for the BSS, but it is hard to tell from the angle of your signature picture.
Tom
Pipes don't do dick.
All of the magic is done in the cam chest.
Some pipes react better with different grinds, but by themselves really don't add much.
Until the valve timing, duration, lift and LSA are adjusted, you really can't increase flow. No flow, no power.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:52 PM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

George did your crystal ball tell you nobody will be using them. Somebody call S&S and andrews to let them know so they can stop production. That is a pretty arrogant statement to make it is like saying the debate on global whining(warming) is over. Products have different applications and preferences by consumers I for one do not like a chain driven cam that is my opinion, you do that is yours but that does not make anything fact. A fellow rider is asking what others use and like and as you can see many people do use and like gear drive for performance.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:08 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cosshog
George did your crystal ball tell you nobody will be using them. Somebody call S&S and andrews to let them know so they can stop production. That is a pretty arrogant statement to make it is like saying the debate on global whining(warming) is over. Products have different applications and preferences by consumers I for one do not like a chain driven cam that is my opinion, you do that is yours but that does not make anything fact. A fellow rider is asking what others use and like and as you can see many people do use and like gear drive for performance.
You are making my point for me. And who is ignoring the details here?
I think if you actually researched, not only do "they" produce cams that will fit the new style roller application, they are now producing the entire conversion kit.
I wonder, why is that?
If gear drive cams were a bulletproof upgrade, why would they entertain building an entire kit that takes cam drive into a complertely different direction?
Is it possible they see a better, more reliable way ahead? Maybe they looked into "their" crystal ball and see a trouble free solution.

You have gears and you take offense. Well, I can understand that, but the fact of the matter is plain and simple. Gear drives are an unnecessary gamble that I believe will become a thing of the past soon enough..

Last edited by George C; 02-19-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Crazycalvin
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the SE203 cams in my bike and they do not fall off too early in my opinion. I wanted cams that were reasonably priced and ran well from 2000 to 5000 rpms. They do this well. If your 203s are falling off at 3800 rpms, you might look to see if there is another issue. Even SE255 cams are capable of pulling well to 5000 rpms and above when tuned right. I also have higher compression than just flat tops and it does not ping. Later, Calvin.

Quick Reply: ((95)) CID guys what cams r u running??