Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Kuryakyn Curved Laydown License Plate ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Fat Boy 07
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Kuryakyn Curved Laydown License Plate ?

I am considering the kuryakyn part below:

9171 Curved Laydown License Plate Mount with Frame (ea)

If anyone has this installed could you give me your opinions please ?

Attached Thumbnails Opinions on Kuryakyn Curved Laydown License Plate ?-9171-1.jpg  
Old 02-16-2009, 11:50 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the softbrake plate that relcoates it to under the taillight.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:55 AM
chordstrummer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy has one on his Street Bob, and it looks great. It's a quality piece. He did lose one of the plate-mounting bolts -- use locktite.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:04 PM
hdrider.tx
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I have. Not that you can really tell from my sig pic. But that's the point. Take your time bending the license plate. We have an inspection sticker here also. I cut the inspection sticker plate down where it goes behind the license plate to about an 1" wide. Looks good. Nice quality.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:21 PM
JR Ryder
Tourer

Originally Posted by anubisss
I like the softbrake plate that relcoates it to under the taillight.
ME LIKEY.... who makes that "Softbrake" one?

I'm gonna go put some pics to my photobucket of my Kuryakyn and will post shortly.

OKAY: My opinion of the Kuryakyn I have here (not sure of the part number, but it sure looks like the one you are inquiring about. #1) the diameter of the 3 bolts that come with the kit are too narrow for the much-larger holes on your rear fender. ALSO.... I had one "bind" and snap on me when installing. I should have used anti-seize, as they are stainless. NO WORRIES though, because I went too a local fastener wholesaler and bought 3 nice beefy stainless phillips bolts, rosette style washers, and stainless/nylon lock-nuts. AWESOME AWESOME.... that's all I have to say about that.

#2) The fit & finish of the plate-holder is EXCELLENT. Our plate-holes up here in Ontario don't line up with the American ones, so I had to creatively massage a few new ones in there, and it came out PERFECT. You can't tell.......

#3) When you attach the bracket to the fender, take your time evenly tightening each screw, as the fender is contoured and will tend to "roll" in the direction you are tightening it. The gasket that comes with it is thick, and of excellent quality. (see picture)

#4) What I did to ease the "bending" or "contouring" of the plate was this: I pressed the two "halves" together, in effect "sandwiching" the plate. It followed the natural curve, and avoided any creasing. Now, I'm not sure what guage of metal your plates are made with, but ours are pretty thin & flimsy.

Best of luck with your decision, let me know if I can help with any more inquiries.

I have recently discovered the 3D tail light from Perse Performance, which covers the 3 license plate bolt holes.... so I'm considering another option. What is that one that anubisss has? I would consider that one. JR

CHECK-OUT THIS GUYS BIKE IN THE FIRST LINK:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...new-shoes.html

http://www.perseperformance.com/

Last edited by JR Ryder; 02-16-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:54 PM
JR Ryder
Tourer

Originally Posted by chordstrummer
My buddy has one on his Street Bob, and it looks great. It's a quality piece. He did lose one of the plate-mounting bolts -- use locktite.
Locktite...... or nylon reinforced lock-nuts, as the bolts that come with the kit are universal, and not really ideal for the FatBoy rear fender. See explanation in my previous post here......

Last edited by JR Ryder; 02-16-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:59 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had the Kury on my Street Bob for over two years now. Had to take it off and back on several times on two different fenders and never lost a nut or bolt using the nylon lock nuts.

I think it is the best looking piece on the market and I don't care for most of the stuff Kuryaken makes.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:03 PM
JR Ryder
Tourer

Originally Posted by sniper77
I've had the Kury on my Street Bob for over two years now. Had to take it off and back on several times on two different fenders and never lost a nut or bolt using the nylon lock nuts.

I think it is the best looking piece on the market and I don't care for most of the stuff Kuryaken makes.

Ya, I really like the nylon lock-nuts..... never had a problem, and like I mentioned earlier, the stainless bolts that come with the Kuryakyn kit are a disappointment.... JR

Old 02-16-2009, 05:03 PM
BigMike17
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Got it and love it!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:26 PM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have had it on mine for a year. I still get compliments and asked where I got it.