Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering apes... now how high?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009 | 11:05 AM
Brandons_Deluxe
|
Cruiser
Default Considering apes... now how high?

First I wanna say what a great siteand great people here. I have found many ideas and answers to questions about my scoot.

My scoot is a 2008 Deluxe and I wanna start flying with apes. If I understand correctly, the stock setup is 6" risers, with 5" inch handlebar rise for a total of 11". I want go about 5 inches higher to put them about shoulder level, I am 5'8". So if my math is correct, and I am no expert in this area, I am looking at about 14" with 1.5" risers for a total of 15.5" or should I push it to 16" with 1.5" risers for a total of 17.5"?

I am looking at these: http://www.carlinidesign.com/handleb...s/flyin125.php and from what I read they run a little high.

The next question is how long should the wire extensions and cable extensions be?

Here she is now, but doesnt she need to go flying!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Considering apes... now how high?-img_0029.jpg  
Old 02-16-2009 | 11:07 AM
anubisss
Banned

16"s all the wya. That is what I have except mine are wild ones. Cables lengths I can't help as i t has been a long time since the swap.

Old 02-16-2009 | 11:09 AM
dusty2221
Road Master

Check out my album, I just went with the 14" Flyin apes and the Carlini diamond riser. I am just under 5'8" and would not want them taller. I have a list of all the cable lengths/part numbers if you are intrested.

Old 02-16-2009 | 01:24 PM
Xuallus
Road Master

If you can, sit on a few bikes with different bars to see what is the most comfortable for you...

As for cable lengths, you're best off installing the new bars and measuring - leave the stock controls installed and set the old bars on the tank (on top of a blanket of course ) Assuming you're doing the work yourself, if not just drop it off at the shop and say "make it work".

Old 02-16-2009 | 02:11 PM
crazybastid83
Banned

It deends on the seat you have. If it is stock and you are staying with the seat, I would say 14 inches would be good. Also be advised that some States require that the grips be below shoulder level. Also use a full top clamp and HD polyurethane or Carlini bushings.

Measure for cables etc after you mount the bars or you may end up with a crappy looking set up.

Old 02-16-2009 | 05:01 PM
BigMike17
Road Master

+1 here...also, here is a link to the AMA state law database...you can check the legal maximum height, if there is one for your state. http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

I run my bars high...20" + 4" riser...originally had 16's and was not happy with them...check out a few bikes and see if you can sit on them before you make the final leap -

Originally Posted by Xuallus
If you can, sit on a few bikes with different bars to see what is the most comfortable for you...

As for cable lengths, you're best off installing the new bars and measuring - leave the stock controls installed and set the old bars on the tank (on top of a blanket of course ) Assuming you're doing the work yourself, if not just drop it off at the shop and say "make it work".

Old 02-16-2009 | 05:13 PM
PastorTom
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigMike17
+1 here...also, here is a link to the AMA state law database...you can check the legal maximum height, if there is one for your state. http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

+1
I run mine right at 30" above the seat which is legal maximum height in Wisconsin.. Good idea ta check yer State laws before you do anything..
I'm a big guy and that makes em right at shoulder height for me as well..Run em that way over 35 years.. I could never run anything I have to reach forward for.. I seem then to always have to tip my head up then to see.. Leaves me with a pretty sore neck and back..After you get the bars you want, put em on.. then measure for cables and brake lines.. So much easier then having to re-order because ya got it wrong..Yer gonna have plenty ta do while ya wait a couple days fer em.. Run yer wiring inside the bars while yer waiting.. will take a little time to extend, solder and shrink wrap the wires..you will be happy with the end result.. They also make some nice Chrome clamps to connect your brake line to yer bars.. Makes a real clean set up..
PT

Old 02-16-2009 | 05:45 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member

I went with 4" striight risers and 12.5 buff bars,the reason for the 4" risers was so I had room for a small bag up front....

Old 02-16-2009 | 06:56 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member

Sit on Your Bike and Put Your Hands Where U Want-Um
Then have a friend start messure-in

Old 02-16-2009 | 07:35 PM
kavants
Cruiser

Here is a pic of my 09 Deluxe with the 14" Fly'in apes and 1" riser. I absolutely love them. Carlini products are first class all the way. If you Hill Country Customs for your cables, they know all the right lengths.

Attached Thumbnails Considering apes... now how high?-100_0666-copy.jpg  

Quick Reply: Considering apes... now how high?