Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Embarrassing question about Fatboy forks

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Six Gunner
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for 1 coastie

What did you have to do to switch out your front end, did you change uppers and lowers or just lowers, how does it track now is it still staight. thanks for any info. you can email me at spraylord@yahoo.com

Steve

Old 02-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Fat Boy 07
Advanced

uppers are polished stainless. if you change out the lowers you need to get the upper sliders in chrome, as well.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:54 PM
raaaaaa
Road Master

there called the "nacelle"
and all stock fatboy and heritage are stainless. I think the new fatboys are chrome (don't quote me)

Last edited by raaaaaa; 02-18-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:30 AM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Six Gunner
What did you have to do to switch out your front end, did you change uppers and lowers or just lowers, how does it track now is it still staight. thanks for any info. you can email me at spraylord@yahoo.com

Steve
Steve,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I have been out of town.
I changed the uppers, lowers and the front wheel to 08 parts. The uppers didn't "have" to be changed, but I was putting on a chrome front end at the time so I replaced them with chrome parts.

HD had a recall on the early 07 Fatboys, because the right upper fork slider would contact the front fender (due to the offset) if you hit a big bump. Their fix was to replace the upper fork sliders with a notched out version that wouldn't contact the fender. Later in the model year bikes started coming from the factory with these notches out sliders, and finally in 08 they fixed the problem, by changing the offset of the front wheel and the lower legs.

If you ask me the recall should have consisted of the modification I made, but I think HD was just trying to save a few bucks.

I think it’s a worth while modification, the bike tracks better than before, and I am currently on my second front tire (29000+ miles) and this one seems to be wearing more evenly. I am also happier with the appearance of the bike.

The only downside to this mod is the added expense of a new front wheel, but if you are installing a chrome front end and new (or aftermarket) wheels on the bike anyway, then this is actually the cheaper way to go due to the 07 front wheel being so unique.

I hope I've addressed any questions you've had,...... glad to help.