Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer download EFI Flash Race download

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 03:45 PM
lapisblue
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer download EFI Flash Race download

Stopped at my dealer today to schedule my 1000 service (free of charge) asked the service guy about installing a SERT or PCIII and he said if you are only going to install a SE breather kit and SE slip-ons the download would be fine. I said I have heard that the dealer download was crappy and not to waste my money getting it because it will miss, backfire and run too lean. He said yes, that was the case with the old EPA approved download and that HD has a new download that just came out a few weeks ago called the (race) download (not for street use). The race download eliminates the leanness and popping. Has anyone here heard of this so called (new) race download???

Old 04-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Firefox
Cruiser
Default RE: Dealer download EFI Flash Race download

Ask for the chart copy and compare it to the others.

Old 04-20-2006, 07:02 PM
mhughes600
Cruiser

i was told once you remap on the ecm the original is lost and never to be found.if you have to return to stock, you may need to buy a replacement part.the power commander piggybacks the stock unit working in conjuction

Old 04-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

Yes, and if you install the SE air cleaner and "SE II" mufflers, the dealer should install the race download. Once the "off road use only" mufflers are installed, why not go for the "race use only" download? I think dealers are reluctant to perform modifications that cercumvent EPA requirements, but many know that as long as there is no city, county, or state enforcement of the federal EPA laws, then who cares? When local law enforcement starts enforcing EPA standards, I think the dealers will refuse to do any modifications that are not EPA approved.

Old 04-20-2006, 07:06 PM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck getting a copy! Fox is right,better to compare before spending money.
I returned my race tuner because its geared towards screaming eagle parts and you really need the bike dynoed for complete tuning(my bike only has 200miles so dyno is out of question).I bought the V&H fuel pak because their efi maps work with th SE aircleaner and their wide range of pipes. Its plug and ride!!!(cheaper also)
The PCIII is also plug and ride and has a whole bunch of maps for all kinds of pipe makers.Research the PCIII on here, theres plenty of feedback about it.
I didnt want to keep bringing my bike back to pay the dealer for fine tuning their SERT!

Old 04-20-2006, 11:03 PM
moonie48
Advanced

Ask my stealer about sert and they told me only if it is a race bike[:-]?

Old 04-21-2006, 01:55 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought that I gave you the current roster of TC 88B ECM Flashes????

from 1450 Stage I Legal to 1550 Stage II Race???

... If not, let me know....

Short story... YES, if you are installing the A/C and Slip-on SE Muffs, you MUST HAVE THE RACE FLASH....

FWIW, that "New" download has been out for over 8 months..... Somebody has been fed a line...

Turns out, what most shops were doing was putting on the Stage I Legal, not knowing that the 06 Models had so many restrictions...

Customers were coming back complaining that the bikes were popping and farting....

Shop would reinstall a heavier (95 in 88, 103 in 95) flash to get the customer off their back....

Not realizing that they had to ORDER THE PROPER CARTRIDGE, they were getting their downloads off of the computer (All Legal Flashes)

Some shops got rid of the tool that you need to install the Cartridge flash... DUMB MOVE!!!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2006, 02:18 AM
IRready
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a map for the better download? I have a 88B with the 95 kit and I would love to get rid of the stock HD download. Let me know.... thanks.

Old 04-21-2006, 04:01 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the download installed after installing my hatchets and SE Air Kit on my 06 Fatboy and I get a backfire hear and there. I called two dealers and they both said it is normal and won't hurt anything. Is this accurate?

I also was told by a dealer that the only way to completely eliminate the backfire is to install the HD race tuner or PCIII. What do you guys think?