Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convert MPH to KPH

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 02:45 PM
vondutchga
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default convert MPH to KPH

It looks like I might be moving to europe soon and will be taking the Night Train with me (2006 fxstbi).

Now I'm not sure if the Dutch government requires a KPH speedometer, but to keep myself out of trouble it's probably a good idea to have a KPH reading.

What is involved in swapping out the speedometer unit, and any idea what kind of cost is associated with this.

Also, is the miles reading coming out of the ECM or is it in the speedometer, I mean, if I would buy a new KPH speedometer, would it read 00000 or is the current milage displayed on it.

Any help would be appreciated (especially from people in the Netherlands)

Old 02-02-2009, 02:55 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

AFAIK, the Netherlands require a speedo, but MPH or KMH doesn't matter. Not sure if your lighting and your changes are good over there. Your horsepowers will affect your insurance and the taxes. There's a new EURO (euro 3) norm for exhaust, so I don't know if you can register your bike there anyway, with an aftermarket pipe. It certainly depends if they register it as a used bike, or if it is considered a registration of a new bike.

Jean-Luc

Old 02-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Frisian HD
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Howdy, I'm from Holland and my old FXSTC has still a miles-speedo on it, self-imported from the U.S of A.

You don't need a diffrent speedo, aslong as you keep the max speed in mind.

It's easy to remember , 50 MPH is 80KPH , 60MPH almost 100 KPH ........ 1 mile is 1.6 kilometer.

You could mark the speedo with small tags at 50, 80, 100 and 120 KPH....more easy and defenitely cheaper aswell.

Here is a telephonenumber of Dutch Customs that might help 0031 45 574 30 31

Don't bother about emissions, E.U. emission-standards are more or less equal to U.S.A. standards.

I run me 2008 NT with V&H BSS and quiet baffles, still loud but acceptable here, police never stopped me sofar!!!

Even don't worry about headlight-issues.......we drive on the correct side of the road, the right side LOL

Last edited by Frisian HD; 02-03-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:39 AM
vondutchga
Cruiser

thanks guys, I actually checked the RDW web site and they state they don't even check emissions.

Of course before I send my bike for a almost 600!!! euro inspection I will put the stock exhaust on.

Since they don't check for emissions I probably won't disconnect my TFI module.

The rest I should be ok, NO running lights, blinkers front and rear, tag in the center, I think she will come through the inspection with flying colors but will see.

Noise is the biggest thing thats why the set of joker pipes will travel in my suitcase Maybe I shouldn't even push my luck with those jokers overthere, and just go for something "quieter"

Last edited by vondutchga; 02-03-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:47 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

I've lived overseas and to me an easy way to convert MPH to KPH is to remember
5mph=(about)8kph. 55mph is (again, about) 88kph. This conversion is not 100% accurate but it's real close.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I lived in Germany I used to remember it:

160 kph is 100 mph
200 kph is 125 mph
240 kph is 150 mph (cruising speed)
300 kph is 180 mph

I miss the autobahn terribly......

Old 02-03-2009, 11:31 PM
j33ptj
Road Warrior
Received 115 Likes on 81 Posts

You may have to change the indicator lights on the rear, they must be amber and not combined with any other light (like running lights).

You may be able to get a Dual mph/kph display on your bike, that is legal, it may not be legal for mph only.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok not 100% sure what Hollands rules are...but if you will be living there and registering the bike there, you will need to pass TUV (inspection)...you will have to change a few small things like the glass on the lights and blinkers.

not sure about the speedo...I know that germany makes you change it...france does to

its all about the conforming to the EU laws and regulations

Old 02-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Frisian HD
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

When you bring yer bike together with the household ye don't pay any ''import''-tax, when you wanna have a licenseplate, you bring yer bike to RDW (ministry of transport) and they will perform a quick check, nothing to worrie about, since American and Europe have the same standards !!!

As long yer bike is in a reasonable state it will pass the inspection in one go, don't worrie about blinkers, lights ......good thing in Holland is that we don't have yearly inspections(TÜV or either MOT).

Like I said me ole FXSTC still has a ''MILES''speedo and never had a ticket for speeding on it!!

Old 02-04-2009, 02:22 PM
vondutchga
Cruiser

thats what is going to happen, its part of "re-immigration" so no tax on my train

frisian_hd we need to go do a ride when I get there

Quick Reply: convert MPH to KPH