Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help w/new exhaust, v&h or martin

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 02:53 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tomhummer

blue lines are martin brothers...red line is vance and hines...you be the judge on which pipes perform better...they say a picture is worth a thousand words
Vance & Hines Big Radius are notoriously BAD performing pipes. There's noplace to go but UP when comparing anything, and I mean ANYTHING with the BR.
Trust me, Martin Bros. are not the "choice" pipe for performance, so please don't try to sell them as some kind of great pipe. They're not.

Having said that, I love the look of the Shock Waves, and given the choice between the two, I wouldn't think twice about going with the better looking MB pipes. The problem with those pipes, like most vanity pipes is that there are no 120" coverage heat shields, and the exposed pipes may blue with time. Nobody wants yellow or bluing pipes to show.

Has anyone ever considered either the Yaffe Crack pipes or the Yaffe Phantom pipe?
The Rocker isn't my taste, but either of these pipes would make a great pipe for the bike. Like the MB pipes, the Yaffe pipes are a vanity pipe, but man, would they look sweet.

Last edited by George C; 01-29-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:59 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by George C
Vance & Hines Big Radius are notoriously BAD performing pipes. There's noplace to go but UP when comparing anything, and I mean ANYTHING with the BR.
Trust me, Martin Bros. are not the "choice" pipe for performance, so please don't try to sell them as some kind of great pipe. They're not.

Having said that, I love the look of the Shock Waves, and given the choice between the two, I wouldn't think twice about going with the better looking MB pipes.
you need to re-read the original question...exhaust question concerning vance and hines and martin brothers...i showed my dyno map from my experience of both sets...I believe that was what the question was...so yes martin brothers over V&H...so who was selling anything...gave somebody my honest opinion due to my knowledge and proof of both pipes

Old 01-29-2009, 03:02 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member

and in my opinion they are a good pipe...which i believe is a personal matter and choice...as your pipe choice might not be near my top choices...thank god we live in a country that allows us to have the right of choice

Old 01-29-2009, 03:28 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member

My mistake.
Hey, if that's the case, I totally agree. I would buy the MB pipes myself over the BR.
As far as my choice, I was refering to performance, which both suck. Drop a performer on that bike and you'll pick up another 8 hp, but sacrifice the good looks.
Sorry for the confusion..

Last edited by George C; 01-29-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:52 PM
lucy brown
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want them to look good and sound good. I'll gladly give up the 8 ponies if the pipe sounds killer and looks good. I'm not out to break any land speed records here. The reason I asked about the 2 pipes in this thread was that the chrome consultant at my local HD dealer mentioned these two as the top sellers and I saw a few videos on youtube about them so it seemed like a reasonable direction to go in. I'm sure just about anything is going to sound better than stock. I just dont want to put a set on then a month later regret it and have to buy a 2nd set.

PS.... One thing I definetly dont want is a pipe that sounds good but performs worse than the stock pipe. I want some increase in performance too. It just doesnt have to be the best performing pipe sacrificing looks of whatever.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:02 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by George C
My mistake.
Hey, if that's the case, I totally agree. I would buy the MB pipes myself over the BR.
As far as my choice, I was refering to performance, which both suck. Drop a performer on that bike and you'll pick up another 8 hp, but sacrifice the good looks.
Sorry for the confusion..
right on totally hear what you're saying and sorry about the possible confusion...the pics of the two pipe choices your gave are sweet looking pipes... i have heard of the crack pipes and they are nice pipes

Last edited by 57RebelRocker; 01-29-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:02 PM
cowboy19d
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have MB Madusas in route to me. I have always liked the way thier pipes look.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:04 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cowboy19d
I have MB Madusas in route to me. I have always liked the way thier pipes look.
you will also like the way they sound

Old 01-30-2009, 04:49 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Tom, you picked up 2 ft.lbs. of tq and 4 hp. Was it worth the money? I mean you gotta look at the cost for those pipes. Still love the VANCE+ HINES

Last edited by hpfatboy; 01-30-2009 at 04:51 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:20 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hpfatboy
Tom, you picked up 2 ft.lbs. of tq and 4 hp. Was it worth the money? I mean you gotta look at the cost for those pipes. Still love the VANCE+ HINES

Cost? Are you kidding?
We own Harleys man...
Since when does a couple of hundred dollars get in the way of hot pipes?

Quick Reply: help w/new exhaust, v&h or martin