Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09 Deluxe, soloed and Beach-barred

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:33 PM
chordstrummer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '09 Deluxe, soloed and Beach-barred

Hello Everyone,

Another new Member checking in with photos, at the beginning of the transformation of making her my own. Removed the pass seat and rack and added Burley Bikini Beach Bars, heated grips, and just a few chrome bits for now.

Still to come: Exhaust and intake (can't decide!), guards front and rear, chrome toolbox, bags (BB repros), bigger pass seat and backrest, and on and on ... Anyone know any rich single girls looking for a "project"?

Thanks for the inspiration. Many of you have done incredible things with your rides (sorry, but the only name that comes readily to mind is Aggro Jo -- your bike -- WOW!)

Two quick questions:

1. The big, dual-rail seat rail from an '03 springer (FLSTS?), the one that you can attach a backrest pad to -- is it a direct bolt-on replacement for my stock Deluxe seat? Read a post about it here somewhere and now I can't find it.

2. I see that several of you have used saddlebag guards that aren't the HD ones made specifically for the Deluxe (don't really care for those). Which ones can I use w/o modification on my 2009 Deluxe?

Appreciate any info.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:51 PM
moggsy
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Lindby makes a slightly different looking engine guard but most Deluxes i see use the HD guard.The nostalgic engine guard is more rounded and looks sweet on a Deluxe.

There are also quite a few guys here who run a springer seat rail.I use one occasionally and it looks quite retro.

V&H fishtails and Samsons would look great on your scoot.Good luck with it all.

Cheers
Moggsy

Old 01-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Brandons_Deluxe
Cruiser

Nice ride... I am looking at new bars for mine as well. I can't decide on beach bars or apes though. I am leaning towards 10"-12" apes...
To answer one of your questions, yes the springer grab rail is a direct bolt on for your seat. It mounts the same way as the stock on your bike... with the pad it looks like this...

Attached Thumbnails '09 Deluxe, soloed and Beach-barred-img_0029.jpg  
Old 01-27-2009, 03:06 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the props man. bike looks nice.

Your choice of bag guards is limited unless/ until you dump the stock exhaust. go with a true dual set up and you get a few more options. The guards for Deluxes are silly because they only drop down a few inches (to where the top pipe begins)

(My bag guards are for a springer. they are skinnier profile and have a bigger radius on top. look in the big book to see the difference (props to OS_Deluxe for that info))

Last edited by aggro_jo; 01-27-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Roger_Rabbit
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice bike! With a little creativity you should be able to make the Heritage Spr rail work, or even a vintage rail.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:42 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aggro_jo
thanks for the props man. bike looks nice.

Your choice of bag guards is limited unless/ until you dump the stock exhaust. go with a true dual set up and you get a few more options. The guards for Deluxes are silly because they only drop down a few inches (to where the top pipe begins)

(My bag guards are for a springer. they are skinnier profile and have a bigger radius on top. look in the big book to see the difference (props to OS_Deluxe for that info))

Man do I like your bike...

You think those bag guards fit my Fat Boy?

Mimo.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:59 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master

Originally Posted by mimo
You think those bag guards fit my Fat Boy?
dont see why not. in order to mount them on the deluxe, I had to move the pegs to the stock frame hole the Fat boys use. only other mod was to use longer bolts to mount the pegs. no worries there as I wanted to switch to allen head anyway.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:18 PM
chordstrummer
Tourer

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Aggro jo, Yes, I was definitely thinking about either duals or a low 2 into 1. Thanks much for the info!

Hope you don't mind if I ask another: The front and rear fender rails -- are those the HD ones for the Heritage? Puzzled why the book seems to say they wont work on my bike. Did you have to do anything extra to make them work?

Thanks again!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:20 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aggro_jo
dont see why not. in order to mount them on the deluxe, I had to move the pegs to the stock frame hole the Fat boys use. only other mod was to use longer bolts to mount the pegs. no worries there as I wanted to switch to allen head anyway.
Roger that, let me look into it.

Do you have a P/N??? I could not find 'em on HD's website...

Mimo.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:37 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master

Originally Posted by chordstrummer
Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Aggro jo, Yes, I was definitely thinking about either duals or a low 2 into 1. Thanks much for the info!

Hope you don't mind if I ask another: The front and rear fender rails -- are those the HD ones for the Heritage? Puzzled why the book seems to say they wont work on my bike. Did you have to do anything extra to make them work?

Thanks again!
they "wont" work because the heritage has a hole drilled in the fenders under the larger trim pieces that the rails use to mount. You dont need to use that mount and they will work fine on the Deluxe. just ignore it completely on the front and on the rear, I used a blob of auto trim adhesive in place of the bolt just to make sure there was no rattles. Without the fender tip hardware, they still mount very solid and there is no chance of them "getting into" the wheel.

pm me if you have any other questions.

Last edited by aggro_jo; 01-27-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Quick Reply: '09 Deluxe, soloed and Beach-barred