Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe - replacement tank+pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 03:37 AM
schtunk
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Deluxe - replacement tank+pics

G'day

My name is Ben and i live in Brisbane Australia.

This is my first post here at HDForums ,i have been a reader of the forum for quite some time and find it a great source of information and just a dam good read.

Recently i bought an 09 deluxe. I have started to change a few things around and so far seems like a great ride.

My question is do harley or anyone else make a larger replacement tank for the deluxe.
With the bars i have and being a large and rotund chap i thought it would help fill it out.

Thanks in advance and thanks to HDF.

PS: Realized i had posted this in general discussion and not Softail models.
Have included a couple of photos.

Attached Thumbnails Deluxe - replacement tank+pics-img_1839.jpg   Deluxe - replacement tank+pics-img_1841.jpg  

Last edited by schtunk; 01-27-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:42 AM
Cullen Express
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Larger tank

Hi from the UK
Agreed great site for info.
I have been looking for larger tanks since the intro of twin cam one piece tank in 1999.
I now have a 2008 fatty and as far as I am aware only 3 options

1, Stretched tank by HD although not any wider looks bigger due to stretch but you will have issues with stock seat not good on your bike

2 After market stretched tank loads on ebay same as above but cheaper only drawback maybe quality of tank and may need work on it before painting.

3 Have a good fabrication guy cut and widen your tank or a repacement tank this is the only option I know of to get a fatter tank (I do hope someone tells me I am wrong as I would love the Fatboy tank to be 2"wider)

I did get a price from
http://www.ricks-motorcycles.de/engl...otorcycles.htm (sorry you will have to cut and paste that not sure why I can not get it to work?)
check their site out under bodywork and tanks as you will see they are top end market .no filler in conversion but as I found out very expensive but thats always the case!!!
Ricks quoted me 1500 euro to widen and stretch tank !! Not had it done as I was hoping someone would start making them as standard stock?? Alot of Ricks bikes have bigger tanks and I like what they do.

There must be a reason why one piece tanks are not out there? you can get 7 gallon 2 piece evo tanks but as far as I know from 1999 twin cam upwards nothing around that is wider than stock?? (I hope I am wrong as I have googled this for 8 years!!!)

Regards

Old 01-27-2009, 07:29 AM
schtunk
Advanced
Default Cheer's Cullen Express

Cullen Express

Thanks for taking the time for such a detailed reply.
I was not a aware that harley made a stretch tank that would bolt on to the deluxe. I could not seem to find it in there catalogue or online.
Defiantly will be checking that option out.
Ricks website looks great, i will be looking in to having someone stretch my existing tank but as you mentioned the cost is a little over the top.

Thanks again i will be sure to drop you an email if anything eventuates.

B.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Cullen Express
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry page 724 of new 2009 cat but it says 2008 onwards but not deluxe not sure why that is.... did not know fatboy and deluxe had different tanks !!!
Learning all the time maybe someone with more info can tell us?

Regards

Old 02-08-2009, 04:31 PM
schtunk
Advanced

Thanks for all the great information.

I am still looking for a larger touring tank for the 09 deluxe but as a few people have mentioned i don't actually think anyone makes one of the shelf.

Wondering how many people have used 2" or 3" tank risers on there deluxe's and if so can i see some pictures of them.

Have seen it done here on rockers but never on a deluxe.

Cheer's

B