Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Remove Triple Tree for Powdercoating?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Soul_Cal
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to Remove Triple Tree for Powdercoating?

I got them off the bike and all torn down except for the center shaft that the bearing sits on. I was wondering how to get the shaft out. I read that the bearings may be pressed and I may need some special tools. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-27-2009, 05:57 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT try to remove the stem!!! The bearings must be removed but your powder coater will mask off the stem. That stem is frozen at the factory and the tree is heated before pressing them together. If you do manage to press it out you will cause damge to the tree so the stem will never be as tight as it is now... and you don't want THAT part of your bike failing!

To remove the lower bearing lay the tree on your work bench with the stem facing you, then tap around the inner race with a small drift or chisel until it comes free. You will probably have to cut off the bearing cage to get a good angle on the race but that bearing and dust cover only costs a few dollars. Be careful not to gouge the stem but if you do hit it just dress it with a fine file and emory cloth after the bearing is off. It's really not a big job if you take your time.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Soul_Cal
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply .... I almost took a chainsaw to it.